Mares Smart Air Support

Discussion of the macOS applications DiveLogDT and Dive Log Manager
jgood

Mares Smart Air Support

Post by jgood » Sat Jun 05, 2021 8:42 am

Hi!

I just bought a Mares Smart Air computer. Found this app for iOS and apparently misread the supported Mares computers. Am I correct that my Mares Smart Air is NOT supported? I have "Mares" selected from the DOWNLOAD/manufacturers list and "Smart" selected for the model. I get "error downloading dives from dive computer" when I press the download button. At the moment there are no dives on the dive computer.

If the Smart Air isn't supported, are there plans to support it?

Thanks!

Joe

support

Re: Mares Smart Air Support

Post by support » Sat Jun 05, 2021 9:25 am

Hi Joe,

You have posted this question under our Mac product section rather than our iOS section, but since you specifically asked about our iOS product I will answer in that context. Please let me know if you need to know details about DiveLogDT for macOS (which also supports the Smart Air) instead.

Dive Log on iOS can indeed download the Mares Smart Air. However, because of restrictions imposed by Apple on iOS we can only download most dive computers via Bluetooth. In the case of the Smart Air this means that you also need to have the Mare Bluelink Pro Bluetooth accessory. The Bluelink Pro looks much like the USB cable for the Smart Air but does not have a wire and communicates via Bluetooth. Then you need to purchase the "Mares Bluetooth Download" in-app purchase in order to download your Smart Air. The steps are:

1) Connect the Bluelink Pro to your Smart Air
2) Uses the button on the Smart Air to navigate to the "PC" screen
3) Push the button one more time to activate the PC mode (you should see "PC Ready" on the display of your Smart Air).
4) The Bluelink device should now show up on the Downloads tab in Dive Log, when it does tap on it
5) When the "Download" button in the upper right hand corner becomes active (turns blue in color) tap it to start the download.

Based on your post it looks like it is possible that you accidentally purchased the "DCbuddy Support" in-app purchase. The DCbuddy is (or was as it is no longer manufactured) a device similar to the Bluelink Pro that supported a wide range of different manufactures computers including some from Mares (but it did not work with the "Smart" line of devices). My one confusion from your post is that the "Smart" is not an option under the "model" section for the DCbuddy download support (there are 3 Mares Puck computers supported by the DCbuddy but the newer Mares device like the Puck Pro, Quad and Smart line required the Bluelink Pro).

If you did accidentally purchase the DCbuddy product you should be able to get a refund from Apple by clicking on the "Report a Problem" link in the receipt email that you get/got and then noting that you purchased the product by mistake in the reason section.

If you are still having difficulties downloading your Smart Air using the Bluelink Pro and the Mares Bluetooth Download in-app purchase please don't hesitate to reach out (email is the best option for specific problems: support 'at moremobilesoftware 'dot' com) and we can diagnose the issues.

Cheers,

Greg

jgood

Post by jgood » Sat Jun 05, 2021 4:43 pm

Thanks for the quick and detailed reply, Greg! You're right, I'm referring to MacOS, not iOS. My apologies.

More details...I'm using the PC Interface for Dive Link 2.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M0 ... UTF8&psc=1

I select PC and get a "Ready" on the Smart Air. Green light on the Dive Link. All else from my original post applies.

Thanks for your help!

Joe

support

Post by support » Sat Jun 05, 2021 5:01 pm

Hi Joe,

Sorry about the confusion. Your Smart Air should work fine with DiveLogDT and the cable you have. We rarely get to test with dive computers that have no dives on them but it is not uncommon for us to report a download error in those cases (we request the first dive and don't get what we expect so we report it as a failure). I think things will likely work fine once you have a dive on your Smart Air.

That said, there could still be a different issue going on so let's have you send us the log files from your last download attempt. You can do this by choosing the DiveLogDT->Preferences menu item, then click on the "Support" tab. Then, in the first section select "Mares" from the drop down list. Finally, click on the "Email to Support" button. The log will be saved from your last attempt so you shouldn't need to attempt the download again before taking these steps.

This will send us a log of the download attempt and we can make sure that DiveLogDT actually attempted to exchange data with the Smart Air. If it didn't, there may be a driver issue that we need to address for you. One we get the diagnostics we'll let you know if you need to do anything else or just wait until you have a dive on the device.

Cheers,

Greg

jgood

Post by jgood » Sun Jun 06, 2021 5:57 am

I'll simulate a dive in a pool as the next test. I can't seem to get the Mail app on my mac, which is what the support send email function wants to use, to play nicely with my web-mail account. Thanks again for the great support! I'll be back in touch with my results!

Joe

support

Post by support » Sun Jun 06, 2021 10:53 am

Hi Joe,

If you're using a web based email system, macOS can't create an email message with attachments. In this case, DiveLogDT should be informed of this and instead open up a Finder window with the needed files already selected so you can just drag them into your web browser email. We just need the files so if you need to, just manually create the email message and drag those files into it.

Thanks,
Janice

jgood

Post by jgood » Mon Jun 07, 2021 5:29 am

Hi, Janice!

It makes sense to me that DLDT can't interact with a web-based email system to create attachments. Here's what's going on...

In DLDT...
1. I open "Preferences" and select the "Support" Tab.
2. Under "Select download logs for..." I select "Mares" from the list and click on "Email to Support".
3. DLDT opens the default email app on the machine (I have no email accounts configured in that app)
4. The email app prompts me to choose an email provider, I choose Google.
5. A new window is opened and I get an infinite wait spinner.
6. I reset the process back to step 2
7. This time, instead of selecting Google as the provider I select "other" and enter my google email address and credentials. This gets rejected by the email app and triggers Google security warnings.

Using my noob-level macOS skills I opened Finder and went looking for the logs and ended up completely lost in the file system.

In your email you say, "DLDT should be informed of this and instead open a Finder window..." I assume you mean DLDT will detect that there is no email configured in the email app and then open a Finder window. This doesn't happen, though (see above).

I'm happy to follow whatever instructions you can give me to locate those logs and provide them to you. And I appreciate your support and patience!

Yours,

Joe

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:41 am

Hi Joe,

Sorry about that. We'll look into why that is not working for you as designed (we tested it here and it is working for us). If you could let us know which version of macOS you are using that would be helpful.

You can locate the files by opening Finder and selecting the Go->Go to Folder ... menu item. Then enter this path (including the starting "~" character):

~/Library/Containers/com.moremobilesoftware.divelogdt/Data/Library/Application Support/DiveLogDT

Note that if you are running Big Sur the above might be automatically translated to:

~/Library/Containers/DiveLogDT.divelogdt/Data/Library/Application Support/DiveLogDT

but it will still work. Then you are looking for the file:

Mares-Serial.txt
Mares-Serial.xml

the .xml file might not exist yet since no dives were dowloaded but the .txt file should be there.

Again, apologies for all the trouble getting to these files. We really appreciate your patience and willingness to work with us.

Cheers,

Greg