Tank pressure graph

Discussion of the macOS applications DiveLogDT and Dive Log Manager
Renroc

Tank pressure graph

Post by Renroc » Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:22 pm

I use DiveLogDT on my mac computer to download dive info. Up until today the tank pressure display on the graph has been a red line running from top left to bottom right. Dropping as the air is used. However, when I downloaded my last 2 dives today the tank pressure line is a red line running UP from bottom left to top right as the pressure drops. THIS is so difficult at confusing. Is there a glitch in my system or is this some new display in the most recent version of the software... Why would you make a display line go UP as the pressure is actually dropping?
The tank pressure marks on the far right of the graph window are also in reverse. WITH 200B at the bottom and 100B at the top.

support

Re: Tank pressure graph

Post by support » Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:07 am

No, not a glitch - we changed the interface in the most recent version and changed the way it works. Before we apologize, I'll just give you a bit of background on why. We added support for graphing the No Decompression Limits given by some dive computers. The NDL limits generally start high and go low, until perhaps you go into deco, and then presumably go high again. It makes sense visually to have the high numbers on the bottom and the low numbers at the top of the graph and the deco information at the very top in blocks which was already there. Same for remaining bottom time. NDL and RBT should normally be an inverse of your dive depth. Ish.

When you look at a tank pressure graph going top left to bottom right as it used to be, it didn't look right and seemed to conflict with the NDL/RBT graphing. Your tank pressure get's less and less over the course of the dive and you've got less and less of it as you reach the end so low numbers match the end of your dive. So we switched it and it looked "better" to us. Just so you know, we did "agonize" over the decision before deciding to do it and it wasn't done lightly.

So first - we will put you down for a "no" vote on that one :( And second - sorry.

What would you think about having a preference, or an option of how to display tank pressure? (Maybe we *should* have done this anyway before releasing)

Janice
P.S. I moved this post to the Dive Log Manager forum from the Dive Log forum so that other desktop users will have a better chance of seeing this too. And they can weigh in on the discussion.

Renroc

Post by Renroc » Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:38 pm

Yep put me down for a no vote on that change. Although I understand why you did it. Can't see how having less at the top is more natural though. Air pressure going down as the dive progresses seems to be a natural that the line should start high and get lower as the dive progresses too. BUT if that's not the way you are doing it I will have to get used to it I guess.

Totally absolutely add the option to change it back to how it was for those of us that like it better the "old way" please. That would get a double triple yes from me.

support

Post by support » Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:44 pm

Just a follow up on this. The latest release of DiveLogDT(4.4.20) and Dive Log Manager(2.4.20) now have a Preference setting where you can "reverse" the profile graphs.

Main Menu -> Preferences -> Profile Tab

There are now checkboxes for each of the Tank Pressure, No Decompression Limit, Remaining Bottom Time, and Heart Rate graphs to "reverse" from the default. You can set each of them to your individual preference for that graph.

As always, let us know what you like, and especially what you don't like ;), to see!

Janice