Feature Request: More Export Options

Discussion of the macOS applications DiveLogDT and Dive Log Manager
PhilMarlowe

Feature Request: More Export Options

Post by PhilMarlowe » Wed Aug 19, 2015 6:21 am

Hi,

I'd love to see more export options to export certain or all dives like csv or even propriate file formats like xls.

Perhaps it's not that hard to implement. Would be great!!!

Cheers,

Phil

support

Re: Feature Request: More Export Options

Post by support » Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:03 am

Sure Phil, "perhaps" it's not that hard to implement :D

Question for you : if we were to do CSV, what fields would you need? Is this for the dive profile only? Or just the basic dive information like date, time, site, etc. It would be good to know what the final goal is so that we could make sure we're doing something that customers want, not just something that might be used someday by someone.

Not that we're committing to do this though :roll: Also, doing a "proprietary" format is usually not possible without the help of and information from the group that considers it proprietary. So .....

Thanks!
Janice

PhilMarlowe

Post by PhilMarlowe » Sun Aug 23, 2015 12:39 am

Hi Janice,

In my case I want to do some more statistics with the data. Like "how many hours did I spend in a depth between 10 and 15 m", "what is the air consumption change when passing the thermal layers" and so on. So in my eyes a database with all information would be the best case. Or is there any chance to access the database of DiveLogDT itself?

Thanks for your reply!

Phil

support

Post by support » Sun Aug 23, 2015 2:08 pm

Or is there any chance to access the database of DiveLogDT itself?
We use the same database format as Diving Log 5.0/6.0 on the PC. Although it's base format is an Access database, everything is converted into an equivalent sqlite database usually on the way in and out, and we use the sqlite database natively on both the Mac and iOS products. It's format is available to anyone that asks. Sven has the profile information documented here:
http://www.divinglog.de/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=652

And we have some documentation that we are willing to give out to those that ask.

Thanks for letting us know why you were looking to export. More advanced Statistics is always on our list to do, however it may be awhile before we get there. That seems a different purpose though than basic "Export" of your logbook, so that's good to know.

Let us know if you have any questions,
Janice

PhilMarlowe

Post by PhilMarlowe » Sun Aug 30, 2015 12:10 am

Hi Janice,

perhaps you have a hint for me. I backed up my DT file (as .sql) and tried to import it into Sequel Pro (http://www.sequelpro.com). Unfortunately it throws some errors about the encoding.I tried to open it as utf-8, but it tries to guess the encoding an throws the following error message:,

"Beim Importieren der Datei ist ein Fehler aufgetreten, da sich nicht mit dem ausgewählten Zeichensatz (Automatisch erkennen - Griechisch (Windows)) gelesen werden konnte."

You have any hint how I could open the sql file?

Thank you and sorry for visiting the forum just every one or two weeks...

Phil

support

Post by support » Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:47 am

The database file isn't MySQL, it's sqlite. I don't use SequelPro and so I'm not that familiar with it, but does it support sqlite? Is there a "flag" or indication somewhere that let's it know it's not a mysql file?
Janice