Merge manually entered logs and computer logs

Discussion of the macOS applications DiveLogDT and Dive Log Manager
gold-soundz

Merge manually entered logs and computer logs

Post by gold-soundz » Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:14 am

I've been entering logs manually using the iOS app, but after a while decided to invest in a data cable to transfer logs from my computer. Having downloaded all my dives from my computer, I now have duplicates where I've added dives manually. The manually entered dives have a lot more information in them, but I also want the data from the computer such as the profile and I was wondering - is it possible to merge two dives together?

edit: after some playing around, it looks like dives are merged with existing entries during the download if they share the same dive number. This was very tricky to work out, since my dive computer has not recorded dive numbers accurately (sometimes it records a dive if I've descended to 3m to pick up a piece of equipment, for example). In the end I had to download records individually, setting the "start from dive number" to the number of the dive I wanted it to merge with. Is there a way of manually merging? Ie, selecting two dives and saying "these are the same dive." I can't get "append" to work properly, it tells me the following dive has no profile (which is why I want to merge it!).

support

Re: Merge manually entered logs and computer logs

Post by support » Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:42 am

Hi,

Sorry about the confusion with the function to import your dive computer dives so that they combine with your previous dives from your iPhone/iPad.

When you import your dive computer dives, Dive Log DT does not use the dive number to decide to combine the dives, but rather you have to manually specify which dives from the dive computer should be combined with the dives already in your logbook. You do this by selecting the dives in top panel of the DOWNOAD screen (or IMPORT screen if you importing from an existing file) that you want to import and then selecting the "first" dive in the lower panel that matches the first dive selected in the upper panel. Then when you click the "IMPORT" button Dive Log DT will proceed to combine the data from the dive computer with the existing data already in your logbook (presumably from your iOS device) updating it with profits, depths, times, temperatures, etc from your dive computer.

The "merge" function that you found is fora different purpose. This function is designed to allow you to take two consecutive dives (for example, if you surfaced long enough in the middle of the dives to cause your dive computer to record two dives) and append their profiles together (which is why both dives need to have a profile for this to work). It also extends the dive time appropriately.

Back to the first function, the normal process you'd follow is:

1) Enter your dives on your iPad/iPhone as you go and collect any local information (such as signatures and photos).
2) When you are back at your Mac, sync your iPad to Dive Log DT via Wi-Fi
3) THEN visit the DOWNLOADS feature for your dive computer and download your computer
4) Select the dive (or dives) that you want to import in the top panel
5) Select the first dive in the lower panel that matches the first dive you selected in the upper panel
6) Click on “Import”
7) Then you can sync the data back to your iPad/iPhone to end up with a complete record of your dives on both your iPad/iPhone and Mac

Now, the situation you are currently in (where you imported the dives from both the iPad/iPhone and your dive computer without doing the steps above) can be “fixed” in a couple of ways. Probably the easiest is to open your logbook and delete all the dives imported from your dive computer (leaving just the ones that you entered in the field on your iPad/iPhone). Then Download your dive computer again (you might need to click the “All Dives” radio button to ensure that all dives are downloaded and not just the newer ones, but if you delete the dives previously downloaded first this shouldn’t be necessary). Then just follow steps 4 - 6 above to import the dive computer dives and have the data from your computer added to the dives from your iPad.

The other solution is to close Dive Log DT and duplicate your logbook (just copy locate the logbook file in Finder, right click on it (or COMMAND-Click) and select the Duplicate option. The start Dive Log DT and remove the dive computer downloaded dives as above. Then pick the “IMPORT->Dive Log” option in the sidebar and click the “Dive Log File” button and select the logbook that you Duplicated above (it will have the same name as your logbook file with the word “Copy” added) and then select the dive computer dives in the top panel (you can select multiple individual dives by clicking on the with the “COMMAND” key held down) and then follow steps 5 and 6 above. You can make the process a bit easier by editing each logbook so that they contain only one set of dives (the ones you want to import from your dive computer in one and the original dives from your iPhone/iPad in the other) so that you can do entire import in one step.

I hope that helps. Again, sorry about the difficulties. We did at one point have the merging function work in a more automatic way, but we found that it was too hard to have a reliable matching criteria as dates and time can vary slightly between the dive computer and the Mac or due to situations like you describe in your post. In the end, we found that making the process manual worked much more reliably. You'll also find the process is pretty smooth in the "normal" case where you go on a dive trip and then just want to import your new dives and integrate the data with your dives entered on your iOS device during the trip.

Cheers,

Greg

gold-soundz

Post by gold-soundz » Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:10 am

Wow, thank you for such a detailed and helpful response! Especially useful was the numbered process for my next dive logs - now I can go out and log my dives on my phone, confident that when I get back I know how to import them properly. I've now caught up with the last 45 dives I hadn't bothered to log in my paper book.

Thanks again :D

wnpeugh

Post by wnpeugh » Mon Nov 30, 2015 6:07 pm

Greg,
So I read over your above post but not sure howit applies..
I have a similar question.. I have a coupel of dives where I briefly surfaced but the dive computer logged this as two dives with a short SI.. How do I "merge" these two events in DLM so they appear as one dive?

Second question.. timeline on some kind of link in DLM to Photos in OS X so we can index pictures taken on a particular dive??

Thx
Bill

support

Post by support » Mon Nov 30, 2015 6:51 pm

Hi Bill,

Your situation is different from the one that I was addressing in the post above.

In order to combine what was recorded as two dives by your dive computer back into a single dive in your logbook you want to use the "Append Dives" feature of Dive Log DT. What you want to do is select the first of the two dives in your logbook and then "right click" (or Ctrl-Click) on the dive to reveal the contextual menu. Then select "Append Following Dive". This will cause Dive Log DT to combine the two dives into a single dive by appending the profile information from the following dive with the selected dive and adjusting the dive time and max depth (and other fields that might change) to reflect the new single dive.

I do not have a concrete timeline on per dive photos for you at this time. It has not been forgotten, but it requires a number of other inter-related changes (for example synchronization) that makes it hard to state when it will be ready specifically. Sorry that I can't be more specific.

Cheers,

Greg

wnpeugh

Post by wnpeugh » Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:05 pm

Greg, again, thanks. I am sorry, I forgot I asked thephoto question earlier.
Again, wish I could get support like this from the big companies!

Dive Safe.

Bill P

support

Post by support » Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:15 am

No worries. It is a fair question and it never hurts to be reminded of the level of interested in any particular feature (we do have to prioritize our relatively limited resources so we do welcome input from users).

Cheers,

Greg