Dive Log Manager improving functionality

Discussion of the macOS applications DiveLogDT and Dive Log Manager
cnottid

Dive Log Manager improving functionality

Post by cnottid » Fri May 16, 2014 12:59 pm

Hello,
I am excited using the software and really amazed by the support level.

I would like to bring in, some functionality issues that affect a certain group of divers.
Now days, more and more divers enjoy diving not only as individuals, but also as couples and families, most of the times using similar or identical equipment,
as well as Dive Log Management Software.
Me and my wife ( I can imagine other people as well) share the same computer and software e.g. Dive Log manager.
The way Dive Log manager software handles dive logs is unique per diver, and it is very correct and logical for the individual diving data.
However it would be great, if part of the database could be common to all diver logs on the specific computer.
That would save a lot of effort and reduntant typing of data like Country, Boats, operators, dive sites,etc.
Once these data are entered once, by one of the divers (users) of this the specific computer, every one else could just select the existing values updating their records accordingly without the need of finding and retyping information.
As an example why should all divers using the same computer find and retype telephone, website etc of a dive operator, etc….

IMHO his could also give a major competitive advantage to the application compared to other in the market.

Thank you for your time

Christos

support

Re: Dive Log Manager improving functionality

Post by support » Fri May 16, 2014 2:35 pm

Hi Christos,

You're absolutely right. It would be great to be able to "Share" information between logbooks. But whatever is done, I think the logbook needs to be able to "stand alone" and also not require a network/internet connection to view or work with it. We have some thoughts on being able to do this easier as part of handling multiple logbooks on the Desktop, but it may be "awhile" yet while we work on other commitments. But I think it will happen eventually.

In the mean time, there is a "hack/work around you can use". It's not elegant but ....

You can *import* dives from another DiveLog database. Right now, it will also add information about the DiveSite, City, Country, and Buddies contained in that Dive. So if you have a Logbook with a Dive logged that has that information filled in, and you *import* that Dive into say your logbook, it will *add* entries for those things if they didn't already exist in your logbook. So you'll essentially copy in that information. Then you can just delete that Dive if you want (cause it's not yours) but then all the added information will stay and you can now use them in logging your own Dives.

Let us know if you have any questions. Thanks for the feedback - we appreciate it.
Janice

cnottid

Post by cnottid » Fri May 16, 2014 3:49 pm

support wrote:Hi Christos,

You're absolutely right. It would be great to be able to "Share" information between logbooks. But whatever is done, I think the logbook needs to be able to "stand alone" and also not require a network/internet connection to view or work with it. We have some thoughts on being able to do this easier as part of handling multiple logbooks on the Desktop, but it may be "awhile" yet while we work on other commitments. But I think it will happen eventually.

In the mean time, there is a "hack/work around you can use". It's not elegant but ....

You can *import* dives from another DiveLog database. Right now, it will also add information about the DiveSite, City, Country, and Buddies contained in that Dive. So if you have a Logbook with a Dive logged that has that information filled in, and you *import* that Dive into say your logbook, it will *add* entries for those things if they didn't already exist in your logbook. So you'll essentially copy in that information. Then you can just delete that Dive if you want (cause it's not yours) but then all the added information will stay and you can now use them in logging your own Dives.

Let us know if you have any questions. Thanks for the feedback - we appreciate it.
Janice

Ok, Janice
No problem I will work around it as you propose. Thank you , looking forward to any improvements.

I have another question about the IPAD version of DL manager which I also purchased a couple of days ago.
If you think that this should be a different forum topic feel free to move my question there , which is....

Suppose I only carry my ipad on a live aboard, and of course use my diving computer to dive.
I know that it is not possible to transfer my diving data directly to IPAD from the diving computer.
Let's say that I am registering all diving information ( Dive site, comment etc) manually, by creating all my dives on the IPAD.
Can I relate the dives that I created manually on the Ipad, to the dives registered on my diving computer , after I download them on my MacBook application , ..... Actually merging the data? How do I index or relate them if there is a way at all...

Thank you again

Christos

support

Post by support » Sat May 17, 2014 10:22 am

Suppose I only carry my ipad on a live aboard, and of course use my diving computer to dive.
I know that it is not possible to transfer my diving data directly to IPAD from the diving computer.
Let's say that I am registering all diving information ( Dive site, comment etc) manually, by creating all my dives on the IPAD.
Can I relate the dives that I created manually on the Ipad, to the dives registered on my diving computer , after I download them on my MacBook application , ..... Actually merging the data? How do I index or relate them if there is a way at all...
That is how the two applications were meant to work together from the very beginning.

Using numbers just for clarity of the example: You do your dives #42 and #43. You log them manually on your iDevice so you can get all the particulars like GPS coords, details while they're still fresh in your mind, your Buddy signature etc etc. Then you get back to your MacOS machine where you can download your dive computer ..... First, sync the logbook on your iDevice over to your MacOS device so that all the information you just logged is now there too. Then download your dive computer. All the (new) dives from the DC will be shown in the top window. Select the dive(s) that correspond to your Dives#42 and #43 on the DC in the top window. Then, set the "Starting Dive#" field to 42. Then click the "Import" button.

The information from your dive computer will be *merged* into what you have already logged. Only the information that your DC "knows best" will be overwritten. You can Import one dive at a time, or you can use multiple selection and the dives will be merged one for one. The only time you might want to split things up is if your dive computer registered two dives when it was really just one dive. Then you can import them both, go to the Dives panel and select the first one, right click (control click) on the first one and select "Append Following Dive" and the two dives will be merged into one. Then you can go back and continue importing and merging the new dives into your log.

After you're finished updating everything you want to on your MacOS device, then sync your logbook back to your iDevice so you have it in both places and you're ready to start the cycle again.

Let us know if you have any questions!
Janice

P.S. One thing to pay attention to is how much "memory" your dive computer has on it and how many dives it will store. With the newer ones this is less of an issue, but will older ones it doesn't take much.

cnottid

Post by cnottid » Mon May 19, 2014 2:54 pm

Hello again,
I have noticed that in the IPad version of DLM, a 24 H format is supported.
Is it possible to support 24 H format also on the desktop version?
It will be nice, as many of us, use and have set our diving computers for 24 H format.

Thank you

Christos

support

Post by support » Mon May 19, 2014 5:11 pm

Hi Christos,

Dive Log Manager/Dive Log DT (like Dive Log on iPad/iPhone) follows the region setting for your device when displaying time information. If you change your time format for your Mac to 24 hour time, Dive Log Manager/Dive Log DT will use that format to display times within the application (you may need to switch away from the screen you are currently looking at and switch back to it to cause the values to be redisplayed). You can change your time format for your Mac by running System Preferences and then choosing "Language & Region" and then checking (or unchecking) the "24-Hour Time" checkbox to match your desired format. You'll notice that changing the Region format (the first drop down on that screen) will set the default Time Format for the selected region (for example Germany will be set to 24 hour time by default) but you can override the time format with the checkbox.

I hope that helps.

Cheers,

Greg

cnottid

Post by cnottid » Tue May 20, 2014 8:15 am

Dive Log Manager/Dive Log DT (like Dive Log on iPad/iPhone) follows the region setting for your device when displaying time information. If you change your time format for your Mac to 24 hour time, Dive Log Manager/Dive Log DT will use that format to display times within the application (you may need to switch away from the screen you are currently looking at and switch back to it to cause the values to be redisplayed). You can change your time format for your Mac by running System Preferences and then choosing "Language & Region" and then checking (or unchecking) the "24-Hour Time" checkbox to match your desired format. You'll notice that changing the Region format (the first drop down on that screen) will set the default Time Format for the selected region (for example Germany will be set to 24 hour time by default) but you can override the time format with the checkbox.

I hope that helps.

Cheers,

Greg
Hi Greg,
PROBLEM solved !!!

Even though MacBook was displaying in 24h format, I had also to change the regional settings .....

Thanks for your time
Last edited by cnottid on Tue May 20, 2014 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

support

Post by support » Tue May 20, 2014 8:29 am

Hi Christos,

Would you mind sending us email at: support 'at' moremobilesoftware 'dot' com (replace 'at' with @ and 'dot' with . and remove the spaces) so that we can more easily exchange information about what you are seeing? Since things are working fine for me here there must be some detail of your configuration that is resulting in you not seeing the desired results. It will be easier to sort this out over email I think.

Thanks,

Greg

cnottid

Post by cnottid » Tue May 20, 2014 8:33 am

Would you mind sending us email at: support 'at' moremobilesoftware 'dot' com (replace 'at' with @ and 'dot' with . and remove the spaces) so that we can more easily exchange information about what you are seeing? Since things are working fine for me here there must be some detail of your configuration that is resulting in you not seeing the desired results. It will be easier to sort this out over email I think.

Thanks,

Greg

Hi again,
It looks we were typing together

Problem solved as above

Thank you and sorry for the inconvenience
Christos