Dive Log Manager and iCloud synchronization

Discussion of the macOS applications DiveLogDT and Dive Log Manager
matthewbooth

Dive Log Manager and iCloud synchronization

Post by matthewbooth » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:19 am

Now that the iPhone/iPad versions have iCloud synchronization, are you going to add this feature into this version (the Mac OS X)?

Thanks.

support

Re: Dive Log Manager and iCloud synchronization

Post by support » Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:09 pm

Well that didn't take long! :-) We were waiting for this question.

So, we're still trying to figure out the plan for how to best manage this. From a technological/software point of view, the support is already there. The same way we sync over WiFi we would just do over iCloud. Sadly, we're just blocked by Apple's security policies.

Since we've been doing this for (relatively) a long time, we have "older" developer accounts. Dive Log for iOS is under one account, and Dive Log Manager/Dive Log DT is under another account. When Apple created iCloud, one of the security requirements is that applications from 2 different accounts can't exchange data via iCloud - only 2 applications under the same account can exchange iCloud data. So Dive Log Manager/Dive Log DT does not have the ability to see your Dive Log for iOS iCloud data files and vice versa. So, you wouldn't want one companies app's to be able read another companies data files so it does make sense from that standpoint. But there is no override or way for a user to approve and give permission. We've talked to Apple and they have some suggestions and they've added some new policies along the way, they're just not ideal for our customers and so ....

In the mean time, you can do the two step: Two-Way sync via WiFi with Dive Log Manager/Dive Log DT using one of your iOS devices and then sync back to iCloud again with it and then use that to sync all your other iOS devices.

Sorry there isn't a better answer yet.
Janice

matthewbooth

Post by matthewbooth » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:57 pm

Janice

Many thanks. I'm not surprised about it.

Matthew

Phil

Post by Phil » Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:24 pm

I would have posted the question, but I assumed that the update was lost in the app store approval process and would appear shortly.

Shame that is not the case, hope you think of something soon!! The obvious solution, which must not be a solution is..... can't you just move the two apps into the same account?

Phil

Post by Phil » Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:07 am

I'm still wishing this was possible and from what you've told me I understand the limitations placed upon you by apple's policies.

I was thinking though, with the plethora of 'cloud' options available, could you implement a feature for us to choose our own, to sync that way? For instance, dropbox. A lot of my devices settings and logs are all stored and access through the dropbox folder.

/edit

Just to clarify, I am looking for a way to easily sync the data between phone and laptop. I do 90% of my logging on the laptop and while it isn't hard.... it is a bit of a nuicance to go through the sync > push to device

#firstworldproblems

orxion

Post by orxion » Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:21 pm

so would it be difficult to merge the accounts? just an idea :)

support

Post by support » Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:53 am

so would it be difficult to merge the accounts?
Unfortunately not possible. And probably not what we want anyway :-)

In June, Apple announced changes to the way iCloud will work with iCloud Drive. It's all still in Beta and has not been released yet but is supposed to be out in Yosemite and iOS8. We have not investigated this fully but it seems like a move in the right direction compared with what has been available to developers like us thus far.

In the mean time, you can keep your logbook file in Dropbox without any issues.

HTH,
Janice

bubbless

Post by bubbless » Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:26 am

This as actually very easy as had same problem previously.
You can just transfer the app from the old account tot he new? also saves you in the dual developer account fees if all are under the same developer ID.
Would love to see the iCloud sync in the background automatically on opening the app. Also due to the large size or equipment logs and stuff you can set that to be a background download for the photos. that way the log is quick and easy and then the other not important stuff is still coming and the users are not waiting around for the download like the current sync.

Paul

support

Post by support » Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:26 pm

You can just transfer the app from the old account tot he new?
It's not that one is old and one is new, it's that there are two active but different accounts. And unfortunately, for various reasons, we can't have and do not want only one active account as that limits us in other ways and also causes great grief and time and money.
that way the log is quick and easy and then the other not important stuff is still coming and the users are not waiting around for the download like the current sync.
Unfortunately, with things like databases, you must update it "all at once" so that records are kept in sync. If we were using some big multi-user server based database that was built for things like that, that would be one thing. We're using sqlite and it's meant to be "lite" so you need to update it as needed and then close it out when done and before transferring it around the cloud or anywhere else.

We'll be taking a look at the cloud stuff soon and hopefully come up with a solution. But right now, if a user changes *any* of their devices to iCloud drive, using either iOS8 or Yosemite, then the old method ("Documents and Data") goes away for that Apple ID for *all* of their devices. So once iOS8 and Yosemite are no longer "new", this will be a moot point.

Thanks,
Janice