Any plans to add to the base of computers??

Discussion of the macOS applications DiveLogDT and Dive Log Manager
jchance

Any plans to add to the base of computers??

Post by jchance » Tue May 14, 2013 10:00 pm

I have been using Mac-Dive for quite some time and really like having a Mac program to download my dive computers. I found your software while searching how to download a pair of SmartCOMs that I have acquired. I have several (9) Genesis React Pros and an Oceanic Veo 2.0 that we use regularly. We carry 1 for use and another for back-up if a problem.

Your software does the Uwatec computer wonderfully; theirs does not. Theirs does the Genesis/Oceanic (Sherwood/Pelagic/etc) beautifully; yours doesn't. I am looking for one that does both and plan on migrating to the one that does both first. Are there any plans to increase your base of computers AND is there anyway I could help expedite that process? Thanks!

support

Re: Any plans to add to the base of computers??

Post by support » Wed May 15, 2013 12:28 pm

Yes, we will be continuing to add support for the most popular dive computers such as Oceanic. But we will always be "behind the curve" in comparison to MacDive and probably not as complete either.

One of the joys of selling an application in the Mac App Store is that it can not use or depend on 3rd party kernel device drivers. The open source libdivecomputer software which we and others use to download various dive computers has a dependence on 3rd party kernel device drivers. (For the actual "physical" communication portion with the dive computers). So while the other desktop applications can depend on these 3rd parties for this functionality, we can not and must also implement and test this additional software. For the other desktop applications, the user must also install this additional software if it is not supplied by the OS, where as we must follow the mantra of "download this and it just works". This means that we'll almost always be behind as it's more work with the additional testing needed, but it also means that we have the flexibility to add the weird and different stuff too :-)

And YES, you could expedite that process. If you want to send us your Oceanic dive computer and download cable, we can use it to implement and test the additional software needed. First, I would need to know more about the cable that Oceanic uses to download with to make sure that we have the technical information available to write the software in the first place. If I remember correctly, when I looked it up in the past this was true but it would be good to double check. Also, I just looked it up and it looks like a Genesis React Pro is identical to an Oceanic Veo so that's like a two-fer I guess :-)

Please contact us if you want to pursue Oceanic download support.

Cheers,
Janice

Divgal08

Post by Divgal08 » Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:25 pm

Janice,
I am new to this board and have just purchased the Oceanic Pro-Plus4 and have no place to download my data. I have used DiverLog for years and it is no longer a option because it doesn't work well with the 64 bit MAC OS Catalina systems and it has had problems for many months. I have enjoyed using DiverLog but it just isn't supporting me any longer, time to move on. I am hoping that DiveLogDT will fill my needs with the new computer and enable me to move all my data from my other program.

Hope you can help,
Dr. Beth

support

Post by support » Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:32 pm

Hello Dr. Beth,

Yes, I think we can help you out. :D

First of all, you can IMPORT your previously logged dives from DiverLog using either the free version, DiveLogManager, or the paid version, DiveLogDT, of our macOS App. In this one case, the IMPORT is unique in that you must have DiverLog open and running on your Mac before starting the IMPORT using DiveLogManager/DiveLogDT. This is because we need to have DiverLog open and running in order to have unencrypted access to it's database of dives.

Second, you will need to have the paid version, DiveLogDT in order to download your Oceanic ProPlus4. We have added support for this dive computer to the application, but have not yet had a customer verify to us that it is working. So we do not advertise it as being available. We do not purchase every single dive computer in order to test them and we rely on our customers to help us out in this particular way. I have every confidence that it will work with the ProPlus4, but if there is a problem, please contact us so that we can make it work for you and everyone else.

In order to Download the ProPlus4, go to the "Pelagic" DOWNLOAD panel, select Oceanic as the vendor and select the ProPlus3 in the model menu. Once the Download has started, it will recognize the device as a ProPlus4 instead of a ProPlus3. And if all is good, please let us know so that we can add it as a "verified" model.

As always, feel free to contact us with any questions or issues.

Janice

Divgal08

Post by Divgal08 » Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:07 am

Janice,

Hello and thanks for getting back to me so quickly. I will purchase the DiveLogDT and follow you instructions for both moving my old logs and entering my Pro Plus 4. I will let you know how it turns out soon.

Thanks again,
Dr. Beth :)

Divgal08

Post by Divgal08 » Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:32 pm

Ms. Janice,
d
Have a question before I export my old files from DiverLog to DiveLogDT, what format, DL7 standard or text file format and Delimiter Options using a comma, semi colon, or Tab?

Thanks again,

support

Post by support » Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:20 pm

Hi again Dr. Beth,

You don't need to Export anything from DiverLog. Just make sure that you have it open and running on your Mac. You can "minimize" it so it is not taking up any screen real estate. THEN, Start up DiveLogDT and select the "DiverLog" panel under IMPORT on the left.

If you're using the paid version of their application, click on the "DiverLog" button. If you're using the free version of their application, click on the "DiverLog Lite" button.

You'll then be prompted to select a file with a long funny looking filename inside a folder named ".tempSQLite". This is your *unencrypted* DiverLog logbook file, and yes the weird file name is correct. (It's name changes so it's not the same for everyone.)

Once you click that filename and then click "Open", you should see a list of your dives from DiverLog in the top window. In that top window, you can select one, some, or all of the dives to IMPORT into your DiveLogDT logbook. Then set what you want the Starting Dive number to be. Then click Import.

You can do this as many times as you want. When you're all done, then you can Quit DiverLog.

Let us know if you have any issues or questions,
Janice

Divgal08

Post by Divgal08 » Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:19 pm

Ms. Janice,

Thank you, so far so good. Let's see what happens when I download from the new computer. It took the exported old dive from my old DIVERLOG perfectly, thanks for the help.