UWATEC IrDA

Discussion of the macOS applications DiveLogDT and Dive Log Manager
Phil

UWATEC IrDA

Post by Phil » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:45 pm

Hello, I understand you state that the UWATEC IrDA device is needed to download from the computer however I thought all IRDA devices were the same and opted for a cheap generic from ebay.

Is there a method to getting the generic to work with this app and if not, could you give me a very basic explaination as to why just for my own knowledge.

cheers.

support

Re: UWATEC IrDA

Post by support » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:24 pm

No, unfortunately, not all IrDA devices are the same, but we can always dream.

For simplicity, let's break a USB/IrDA dongle into 3 chunks. There is an IrDA chip set on one side that does the IrDA part, i.e.: the actual blinky blinky lights. Second, on the other side there is the chip set that does the USB part that talks between the host computer and the IrDA chip set. And third, there is the manufacturing process and extra cruft needed to put the 2 chipsets together into one device.

The USB chunk is a non-issue here because USB is a well established standard that chipsets have been meeting for a long time. And so Operating System software like MacOS can easily support it as it's a known entity.

In IrDA's heyday, there were many manufacturers of IrDA chipsets and they all did several different models of same to meet different markets of costs and scalability and speed etc etc. ScubaPro (actually UWatec) shipped their USB dongle using at least 2 different chipsets - one from a company called SigmaTel, and another from a company called Moschip. They may have shipped dongles with even other chipsets, I don't know, I just haven't run across them.

So software needs to know the gory details of the IrDA chipset in order to program it to blink the lights properly for the device being communicated with. Something basic like baud rate just for example. This software is usually called a device driver and is specific to an Operating System. So there will be a different device driver needed for each different chipset. Often, but not always, the company that makes the chipset also provides the device driver. Often, but not always, the company that distributes the dongle also distributes the device driver.

For Dive Log Manager/Dive Log DT, you don't need to go find a device driver for the dongle, the device driver is built into the application itself. Download the application and go. But this means that the application has to know the deep dark intricacies of the chipset in use. So Dive Log Manager only works with dongles that have the same chipsets that ScubaPro uses in their manufacturing of their dongle. ScubaPro ships a device driver for Windows computers with their dongle, but they do not ship a device driver for MacOS.

Since IrDA is a technology in it's sunset years, the number of chipsets available for making a dongle are getting smaller and smaller. SigmaTel for example does not exist anymore so you can't buy chips from them and so you probably won't see dongles anymore that use them.

So if your "cheap generic from ebay" uses one of the same IrDA chipsets as ScubaPro did, then there is a "good chance" that it will work with Dive Log Manager/Dive Log DT. (And since there aren't many chipsets anymore, there is a "good chance" that it does use one of the two). However that 3rd chunk I mentioned above *may* be an issue if for some reason the glue bits work differently. Without actually having one from every single manufacturer in our hands to test with, we just don't know.

So if you're willing to try it out and it works, great, you're golden. But if it doesn't work, there is not much we can do. If we don't have it in our own hands, we have no way of figuring out why it doesn't work with our software. If your ScubaPro dongle doesn't work, we can support that and we *will* make it work for you.

Hope that helps to explain things. I'm sure others may have wondered as well. As always, don't hesitate to contact us again with any further questions.

Cheers,
Janice
More Mobile Software

Phil

Post by Phil » Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:51 am

Thanks for the reply Janice that has cleared things up, I was very keen to have my computer interface directly with Dive Log but for now I will have to do it the old fashioned and tedious manual way (poor me, i know). The irda I recieved from ebay only shipped with Windows XP drivers, so I even had to go on a hunt for windows 7 compatible drivers for my desktop.

If only the uwatec devices werent so rediculously priced!

support

Post by support » Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:12 pm

Did you try it with Dive Log Manager? We'd really like to know which ones work and which ones don't. So far, we haven't found any that don't work so if it doesn't, we'd really like to know about it ...

Thanks,
Janice

daryl

Post by daryl » Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:07 am

Hi,

I have the ScubaPro/Uwatec IRDA Dongle (IR778 USB Infrared Adapter). I plug it into my Mac (OS X 10.7.5) but the Download button never becomes available in Dive Log Manager.

What can I do to fix the problem?

Thanks in advance!

- Daryl

support

Post by support » Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:17 am

I have the ScubaPro/Uwatec IRDA Dongle (IR778 USB Infrared Adapter). I plug it into my Mac (OS X 10.7.5) but the Download button never becomes available in Dive Log Manager.
Well, that's very odd. Let's go thru this. First, I guess I would just confirm everything by rebooting your machine and starting from scratch. MacOS can get pretty confused sometimes so it would be good to just confirm that that's not the problem. 10.7.5 should be fine.

Start up DLM *without* the dongle plugged in. Then click the "UWatec (IrDA)" panel. The Download button should be greyed out.
Now plug the dongle into a USB port. The Download button should "turn on" or enable within about 10 seconds.

If this doesn't happen, could you please try two things for me:
1) Could you run the "Console" application (Found in Applications/Utilities) and look in all the system messages there and see if anything shows up when you plug in the dongle?
2) Could you please email us the output from the system about the device? Here is how:

If you plug the device into a USB port, and then head to the "Apple" icon in the upper left corner of your screen and select "About This Mac". Then click "More Info". Once the "System Profiler" app is up, select "USB" under the Hardware list. You should see a "Vendor Specific" device in the "USB Device Tree" that is the ScubraPro IrDA device. If you select that, in the bottom window you'll see more information about the device including Product ID and Vendor ID and a bunch of other stuff. Could you copy all that info and then paste it into an email message to support at moremobilesoftware dot com?

Thanks so much and sorry for the hassle,
Janice

daryl

Post by daryl » Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:30 am

Sorry, this was user error... I didn't realize I needed to buy a license before that functionality would work. Did that today and everything works great! Thanks for all your help Janice!

One point to note - on the first download attempt from my Luna, the download stalled. I went into Luna's menu and changed IRDA speed from Fast to Slow and had no further problems.

- Daryl

Phil

Post by Phil » Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:47 pm

The dongle I purchased was a Sigmatel one, I haven't been able to get it to work on my Mac (haven't been trying though). After reading your post, I gave it another try and under the download section of the software it keeps saying 'waiting for irda device to be plugged in'. I had issues at first on my windows 7 machine, until I managed to find the device drivers for it.

I've since looked for Mac drivers, however I remember reading a section saying that no device driver is necessary for the divelog/irda interaction. If you'd like me to get anymore device information, let me know and ill try my best.

support

Post by support » Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:15 am

Yes, Dive Log Manager/Dive Log DT has the device driver portion built into the application so it is not necessary to find/download/install something separately - it will "just work" {if you have the right device :-) }

If you're on the "UWatec (IrDA)" panel under the Download section in Dive Log Manager/DT, and you plug in the dongle, and the Download button does *not* enable, then the dongle does not advertise itself as being the same as the ScubaPro IrDA dongles. It may still do IrDA obviously, but it does it differently than the other dongles.

Each USB device uniquely identifies itself via a Vendor ID and a Product ID. Vendor is generally the manufacturer of the device and the Product ID identifies which of their products it is. So Dive Log Manager/DT is looking for one of two combinations that ScubaPro shipped. (NOTE: This is to my knowledge, not ScubaPro's, they won't say).
Mostek version: VendorID - 0x9710, ProductID - 0x7780
Sigmatel version: VendorID - 0x066F, ProductID - 0x4210
If you'd like me to get anymore device information, let me know and ill try my best.
That would be great. Here are the instructions to find the above information for your device/dongle:
(The instructions are slightly different depending on which version of MacOS you are running because of course Apple changes things frequently, but hopefully you can suss it out)
- plug the device into a USB port on your machine
- look under the Apple menu in the top left of your screen and select About This Mac ...
- Click "More Info" button (A program called "System Information" will start)
- Click "System Report"
- Click "USB" under the "Hardware" section in the list on the left
- Find the dongle in the list of USB devices in the Top and then click on it (it might say "SigmaTel" or it might say "Vendor Specific" or it might say something else entirely - you may have to deduce which on it is)
- Copy and Paste all the Info in the bottom window about the device into an email message to support at moremobilesoftware dot com

Thanks!
Janice

Phil

Post by Phil » Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:05 pm

How exciting, hopefully mine will be compatible as well. The product codes are almost identical, though it looks like mine is an older version. Have sent off the email with the information requested