Announcing Dive Log Manager 2.0

Discussion of the macOS applications DiveLogDT and Dive Log Manager
support

Announcing Dive Log Manager 2.0

Post by support » Tue May 04, 2010 7:29 pm

Dive Log Manager is a free application for Mac OS X that is designed specifically to allow you to manage your logbooks between your Mac and Dive Log on iPhone. We have released a new and improved 2.0 version into Beta testing and are looking for people to provide feedback and help us to identify any problems you may encounter.

The 2.0 version is a completely new application but maintains the features of the previous one. It has 3 main areas of functionality:
  • - You may "View" all the details of your logbook including individual dives and profiles as well as the accompanying data such as Buddies and Dive Site information.
  • - You may "Import" dive details from each of the supported external logbook formats. This includes either adding new dives to the Dive Log logbook, as well as merging dive details with the information you have already entered on your device.
  • - You may "Synchronize" your logbook back and forth between your Mac and your iPhone, as well as make backups of the logbook to your hard disk.
Please see our website for more details about Dive Log Manager 2.0
http://www.moremobilesoftware.com/Dive_ ... _Beta.html

If you have any questions or issues, you may contact us directly, or you may post your information to this forum.

Updates to Dive Log Manager 2.0 will be provided on an ongoing basis as we fix any bugs found and add new features. It will automatically check for updates periodically, and you can also check manually using the application menus.

Thanks!
- The More Mobile Software Team

Egeberg

Re: Announcing Dive Log Manager 2.0

Post by Egeberg » Thu May 06, 2010 7:36 am

It look very nice!

A small wish would be that you can edit the dive on the computer & then send the updated data back to the iDivice

support

Post by support » Thu May 06, 2010 10:04 am

Great! Glad you like it - hopefully it is easier to use than the older version.

We wanted to get the "Viewing" and "Importing" and "Synchronizing" experience right first as those are the more important features when interacting with Dive Log on iPhone. But longer term we would certainly like to add the ability to edit information as well.

Thanks for the feedback!
Janice

5th Day Diver

Post by 5th Day Diver » Thu May 13, 2010 11:08 pm

Dive Log is awesome, and I have been waiting for a desk top version. At present I imported all dives from my iphone but once they are in Dive Log Mgr. I can't add equipment or make any changes. Also, the dive length shows 14 decimal places, any way to round to whole numbers? Also from this point, to log a dive, do I import from iphone, then import from Suunto computer and merge? This will now replace Macdive, correct? Keep up the great work, I really think Dive Log is awesome.

Jon

support

Post by support » Fri May 14, 2010 9:03 am

HI Jon,

Dive Log Manager is just to help users of Dive Log on iPhone manage their logbooks easier. So it's purpose it to be able to view, import, and synchronize. So for editing, for the moment, you need to do that on the iPhone and then transfer the log back to the desktop. Longer term we certainly want to do more, but it will take us more time and development. MacDive has lots of additional features (the big one being able to import from a dive computer) and our plan is to always work with it. So yes, you can add a dive on the iPhone, sync to the desktop, and then merge the data from your Suunto computer (presumably loaded via MacDive) into it and then sync back to the iPhone.

Looks like the 14 decimal places on dive time is a bug - it wasn't formatted correctly. Easy fix and so it'll be fixed in the next release. Thank you! Good to have different data in different logbooks give this thing a workout.

Thanks again - please keep sending feedback,
Janice

support

Post by support » Fri May 14, 2010 4:38 pm

FYI We just posted another new version of Dive Log Manager - version 2.0.2

It has support for saving images from your logbook to disk as PNG files, as well as a bug fix for displaying dive times with zero decimal places :-)

If you want to "force" the update to download, select "Check for Updates ..." in the Dive Log Manager menu.

Thanks for the ongoing feedback!
Janice

imcgraw

Post by imcgraw » Mon May 31, 2010 11:28 am

Hi,

Love the iPhone app, but I'm confused as to the direction the Mac OSX Dive Log Manager is going. It seems like a great idea to be able to sync dives to a computer, and it's also nice that it's possible to import them from other formats. I cannot find a way to export dives to UDCF, however. Am I missing it, or was omitting this feature a conscious choice?

It seems to me like the manager is starting to duplicate features of MacDive rather than allow the data to be transferable. I could see how this might make sense for retaining greater control over the interoperability of your software and keeping your users hooked in. Still, it would be nice to know if that's the plan going forward, or if you hope to eventually implement exporting. Is this a feature you would charge for? If so, please be sure to make the true prices clear in the iPhone app description so that people don't buy it thinking they get functionality that they do not. The description for Windows syncing is already a little suspicious as it's unclear from the app description that Diving Log 5.0 is a separate purchase for the functionality described.

Thanks!

-Ian

support

Post by support » Mon May 31, 2010 12:11 pm

Hi Ian,

Thanks for your comments and input on Dive Log Manager and Dive Log on iPhone. We certainly appreciate your input.

First regarding UDCF, this was indeed a conscious choice but probably not for the reasons that you are thinking. UDCF is a very limited format and is primarily designed for exchanging dive computer data (i.e. dive profiles). It does not provide many of the fields that might be interesting to export from Dive Log on iPhone. In fact, it doesn't even have a way to include a depth or bottom time unless you have profile data. Since the iPhone app can not "capture" profile data without an cooperating desktop application like MacDive, there is very little interesting information that can be exported from Dive Log Manager via UDCF given that your profile data is already in MacDive (or what ever other desktop application you are using).

We have always worked closely with the makers of other desktop applications (Diving Log, MacDive and Mac DiveLog among others) to ensure that we can interact with their applications. The maker of Diving Log 5.0 has already integrated full sync support into his application. We have been working closely with other developers so that they can support native sync capabilities with Dive Log on iPhone (for example we supply them with full source to our database format and sync protocol). We are also very interested in having open formats that we can export to in order to facilitate transferring data to these applications (no format currently used by popular dive log applications currently exists). While the makers of other desktop applications have worked closely with us, it takes time for them to add the necessary support to their applications (they have other customer requests to support as well). In fact, we have added many capabilities to Dive Log Manager to try to make working with other desktop applications easier while they work to add Dive Log on iPhone support (for example we added native import capabilities to MacDive, Mac DiveLog and JDiveLog to work around the limitations of UDCF ... unfortunately supporting the reverse is not possible because of the nature of the native file formats).

The current feature set of Dive Log Manager will continue to be available for free. We reserve the right at some point to add "paid" features to Dive Log Manager, but these would be available in a premium version that would not take anything away from the features that support working with 3rd party desktop applications. The "new" version of Dive Log Manager does not take away any capabilities of working with MacDive or any other third party applications (actually, it has improved the MacDive importer over the current released version) it simply has added the ability to visualize your logbook before or after transferring it to the iPhone (this was a highly requested feature).

I agree with your concerns about the wording of the application description on the iPhone App Store. In fact, we use to have much more explicit wording about the purchase of third party applications. Unfortunately, Apple started rejecting updates to Dive Log and required that we change our application description to remove such references. We are not trying to be obscure but are doing the best that we can within the constraints that have been imposed on our application description by Apple. We have no control over what other developers choose to charge for their applications and what features they might include for free.

Rest assured that we are committed to continuing to work closely with the developers of applications like MacDive, Mac DiveLog and Diving Log 5.0 to ensure the best experience possible for the widest array of customers. Not everyone has the same needs, so we try to add features that will support as many use cases as possible.

I hope that helps clarify the situation.

Cheers,

Greg

imcgraw

Post by imcgraw » Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:28 pm

Hi Greg,

Thanks, your explanations make a lot of sense. I'm just getting into diving, but have been developing software for some time. Sounds like there's a bit of a standardization problem in this area. Do you see this improving in the near future? Is UDDF any better? In any case, the Dive Log app appears to be hands down the best in the app-store, so I'm going with it. I guess long term if I want to play around with other formats I could attempt to extract the data myself.

As someone who's been through Apple's hoops I certainly know what you mean about odd policies. Good luck with the great app, and I look forward to future updates. I read a rumor elsewhere that you're doing an iPad upgrade too! Just got the 3G version, and I'm loving it.

cheers,
Ian

support

Post by support » Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:59 pm

Hi Ian,

Yes, UDDF is a bit better (it was actually designed as a logbook interchange format), unfortunately there are very few applications that support it (most notably for this discussion, none of the existing Mac logbook apps). We are currently working with other developers to make interchange of logbook data more flexible, so stay tuned. You are also welcome to read the *.sql file that is saved by Dive Log Manager (contact me off list via e-mail at "support" at "moremobilesoftware" dot "com" and I'd be happy to share the schema and data format with you) as it is just a standard sqlite3 database.

We are indeed working on an iPad version of Dive Log ... have a look at this discussion http://forums.moremobilesoftware.com/vi ... hp?f=3&t=2 for my comments on the subject. It is a big job (as Dive Log is actually quite a complex application), but we are making progress!

Cheers,

Greg