Importing JDiveLog

Discussion of the macOS applications DiveLogDT and Dive Log Manager
ATJ

Importing JDiveLog

Post by ATJ » Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:29 pm

Neither DLM 1.3 or 2.0.3 will import a newly created JLB file. They both say the file is invalid.

The file was created using jDiveLog 2.13.

support

Re: Importing JDiveLog

Post by support » Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:19 am

Hi,

Sorry about the difficulties with JDiveLog 2.13. Unfortunately, because there is not a formal definition for the JDiveLog file format (other than what is implied by the source code) problems can sometimes occur in our importer because of data in a particular JDiveLog file that we have not seen before (our sample set is somewhat limited which is why we refer to this support as "Experimental"). If you were willing to send us a copy of the JDiveLog file that is causing Dive Log Manager difficulties we can probably sort it out very quickly and get an update out to you (you can send the file to "support at moremobilesoftware dot com" replacing the " at " with "@" and the " dot " with "." and removing any spaces).

I have just downloaded a fresh copy of JDiveLog 2.13 (just to be sure) and run the files that we have through it and can not duplicate the problem you are seeing, so your file would be very helpful.

Cheers,

Greg

ATJ

Post by ATJ » Sat Jul 17, 2010 3:44 pm

I have sent 2 files that don't work.

This is all part of my quest to determine the best way to export from my home grown Lotus Notes dive log to something that DLM can read.

UDCF is by far the easiest but misses a lot of data.

As both JDiveLog and MacDiveLog are XML based, they aren't that much harder and include a lot more data. Unfortunately, I don't have the specifications for either so I can only code based on the samples.

I sort of have MacDiveLog working, but I can't seem to get DLM to read the profile data. MacDiveLog will read the profile data, although the timing is out.

I haven't even attempted to code the JDiveLog file as I can't even get output from JDiveLog to work.

support

Post by support » Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:52 am

Just for closure for the forums, it looks like there were two issues importing these files:

1. The first was the encoding of the file. As it was generated on a Windows machine via Java, the encoding of the file used was "Cp1252" which was unusual for us to see. The MacOS supplied XML parser is only happy with "utf-8" file encoding so we need to "re-encode" the file for other encodings to make the parser happy.

2. This was the first instance we've seen where JDiveLog implemented something called "DeltaMode". Since this is something in UDCF, it was easy enough to add to the JDiveLog support. As you've noted, there is no spec for JDiveLog so we are also just reverse engineering based on the sample files we generate ourselves. More data is good!

Files are now importing fine and these 2 fixes will be in the next Dive Log Manager release.

Cheers!
Janice