Dive Log Manager 2.0.3 - Metric

Discussion of the macOS applications DiveLogDT and Dive Log Manager
ATJ

Dive Log Manager 2.0.3 - Metric

Post by ATJ » Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:46 pm

When displaying Dives in DLM 2.0.3, MaxDepth shows in feet even though Metric is chosen.

ATJ

Re: Dive Log Manager 2.0.3 - Metric

Post by ATJ » Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:32 pm

OK... when I next restarted DLM it showed metres for MaxDepth.

support

Post by support » Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:47 am

Hi ATJ,

Sorry about that. You shouldn't have to restart DLM to get the units to reflect the change. Could I get a bit more information from you? Which "panel" were you on? (ie: Dives, or were you importing at the time?) Are you running MacOS 10.5 or 10.6?

There is a bit of a user interface confusion. The main unit selection is on the bottom left of the window. This is how you want to view all your information in general. On the Import Panel for MacDive 1.5 and 2.x, there is an *additional* units menu above the dive entries shown for import. This is because some of the fields in the MacDive database are "unit less". So for example, the weight field in MacDive is in whatever units the user uses. If there is a "2" in that field, we don't know whether that is 2 pounds or 2 kilos. We use some heuristics when reading it like looking for the string "lb" or "kg", but if there is nothing there we don't really know. So we added this *additional" unit menu to tell us, "when in doubt, I'm metric" or "when in doubt, I'm imperial".

So if it was this menu on import you were choosing, you would not see any changes until after the import. But the main unit selection is the one in the bottom left corner and you "should" see changes immediately whenever you change that one. Please let us know if that's not happening.

Cheers,
Janice

ATJ

Post by ATJ » Sat Jul 17, 2010 3:15 pm

I'm using OS X 10.6.4.

I can't remember exactly what I was doing the first time I had this happen, but I have found a number of ways to reproduce it.

The first way...

* I made sure all screens that show the list of dives in the bottom panel were on showed feet for MaxDepth.
* I switched to Dives within LOGBOOK and changed the toggle at the bottom left to "Metric".
* MaxDepth on the list panel shows as metres for each dive
* If I switch to each of the formats under IMPORT, the MaxDepth column shows as feet for all dives, even though the toggle still says "Metric".
* I can then toggle each of the format views to "Imperial" and back to "Metric" and then MxDepth shows in metres. This only changes the current view and switching to another format view that hasn't been "fixed", still shows feet.

Other ways...

As above, but toggling one of the Format views, changes that view but none of the others.

support

Post by support » Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:01 am

Ah, yes I see the problem. You are absolutely correct - it's a bug.

Fixed in the next release. Thank you ATJ!

Cheers,
Janice