Suunto DM5 database import

Discussion of the macOS applications DiveLogDT and Dive Log Manager
retiredncolorado

Suunto DM5 database import

Post by retiredncolorado » Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:11 am

I have been using dive log manager for several years with no problems. But today I tried to import my most recent dives from Suunto DM5 and have a problem. When I select Suunto and click on database nothing seems to happen. When I double check that the dives show up in Suunto DM5 there are all there.
Can you help me understand what I might be doing wrong?

Thanks

support

Re: Suunto DM5 database import

Post by support » Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:33 am

Sure we can help!

Perhaps something has changed and we just did not notice. So first can you tell me what version of macOS and what version of DM5 you are using?

And second, it doesn't hurt to make sure that you have completely *Quit* DM5 before trying to IMPORT using Dive Log Manager. That makes sure that any changes made in DM5 have been saved and are completely visible to Dive Log Manager.

support

Post by support » Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:51 am

And just one more clarification:

When you click the Database button, you should get a "File Open" popup where you navigate to your latest version of the "DM4.db" file. So you need to select that file and then click "Open". Is it that the popup does not show up? Or that when you click Open that you don't see any dives in the top window?

retiredncolorado

Post by retiredncolorado » Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:50 am

I am using DM5 version 1.4.2.420, and Dive log manager Version 3.5.14 (3.180).

The dialog box for selecting the database would not appear when I pressed the database button. But, for some magical reason when I tried again this morning the dialog box appeared and I successfully imported my new dives.
I am not sure what was going on, but the problem was solved.

Thanks for your assistance.

support

Post by support » Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:32 am

Ah, I see. FYI all of the "work" associated with that dialog box coming up is done external to the application, so when it doesn't show up or doesn't work properly, it means that macOS is confused. There may be other ways to fix it, but the simplest and easiest is a quick reboot. Especially if you're running macOS 10.15 (Catalina), you'll want to reboot every once in a while to keep your machine happy. So the reason DiveLogManager probably just started working again is you may have done a reboot recently.