Usages Questions

Discussion of the macOS applications DiveLogDT and Dive Log Manager
donrush

Usages Questions

Post by donrush » Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:50 am

I have a few usage questions now that I have my syncing issue resolved.

1. How do you input States/Provinces under locations? Just as part of the city name?

2. When adding location I noticed if I right click I have an option to add to or create a new exchange file? What is this option?

3. How do you record surge information?

Here is a few feature requests. Maybe they are already there and I am missing them?

1. Is there a reason the vis fields Virt/Horz are just plain text fields? I think it would be more useful to have the field as ether ft or m. Much like the weight and temp fields.

2. When doing a group edit the ability to edit the comments field.

3. Fields that break out water conditions. Another dive software I tried had the following fields
Current: (Selection slow/mod/fast) (Numeric Speed)
Surge: (Selection light/mod/heavy) (Numeric ft/m)
Swell: (Selection light/mod/heavy) (Numeric ft/m)
Surf: (Selection light/mod/heavy) (Numeric ft/m)
Tide: (Selection low/high/slack) (Numeric ft/m)

4. Being able to put two dive companies into a dive. The example would be for me booking shop "Thailand Divers" and boat operator "Local Dive Thailand"

5. Gear Sets. Would be great the say create a cold water set with everything I dive with and another warm water set with everything I dive with.

6. Stats. Add to the logbooks stats coldest, warmest, lowest (best) SAC, highest (worst) SAC, average SAC.

7. Ability to filter logbook stats over a period of time or section of dives.

support

Re: Usages Questions

Post by support » Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:47 am

Hi,

These are all great questions and suggestions. Let me try to answer/address them for you:

1. How do you input States/Provinces under locations? Just as part of the city name?

This is really up to you, and putting them in the City would certainly be an option. My preference is to use the Country/Region as the place to distinguish States and Provinces. So I create a new Country/Region for each State/Province. For example:

Ontario, Canada
British Columbia, Canada
Washington, USA
California, USA

that way I can also enter the appropriate Timezone information or a State/Provincial flag image for each of the States/Provinces. This is less of an issue in smaller countries with only one Timezone, but in the US or Canada it is nice to have separate entries for each State/Province.

2. When adding location I noticed if I right click I have an option to add to or create a new exchange file? What is this option?

This is a relatively new feature of Dive Log Dt/Dive Log Manager that allow you to create a file (it is an XML file) that can will contain the information for that item that can be "imported" into a different logbook. This allow you to, for example, enter a Dive Site and then export it in an exchange file that another user can import into their logbook so that they don't have to re-enter the data themselves manually.

3. How do you record surge information?

The "current" field under the Environmental section is a free form text field. You can use it to record any information about the underwater conditions you like. Once you have created an new entry, it will be available for other dives in the edit list on iPhone/iPad (these feature is not currently in Dive Log DT/Dive Log Manager) as previously used entries are offered as options. The name "current" is a bit of a misnomer ... it is really "water movement". Typically current and surge are not both present (although they certainly can be). My logbook has entries like "No Current", "Light Current", "Light Surge", "Strong Surge" in this field.

1. Is there a reason the vis fields Virt/Horz are just plain text fields? I think it would be more useful to have the field as ether ft or m. Much like the weight and temp fields.

You can certainly entry numeric values with any units that you like. The reason that it is a free form text field is that users have lots of way that they like to record visibility. For example, I have many dives with entries like "> 100 ft" or "5 to 10 ft". Since we don't do any calculations using the visibility fields there was little value in restricting them to numeric only entries.

3. Fields that break out water conditions. Another dive software I tried had the following fields ...

You can use the "surface" and "current" fields to hold any or all of these values. Just type in the value that you'd like to have in the appropriate field ("current" would be appropriate for Current and Surge, "surface" would be appropriate for Swell, Surf and Tide). You can certainly add a numeric or descriptive value to the description ("Heavy Swell, Low Tide (-1 foot)"). We find that people have many different strategies for storing their data so we try to keep it flexible whenever possible.

4. Being able to put two dive companies into a dive. The example would be for me booking shop "Thailand Divers" and boat operator "Local Dive Thailand"

We can look at that for a future database update. In the mean time, I'd suggest putting the boat operator in the "boat" field maybe along with the boat name ("Local Dive Thailand - Tender II") as a possible work around.

2. When doing a group edit the ability to edit the comments field.
5. Gear Sets. Would be great the say create a cold water set with everything I dive with and another warm water set with everything I dive with.
6. Stats. Add to the logbooks stats coldest, warmest, lowest (best) SAC, highest (worst) SAC, average SAC.
7. Ability to filter logbook stats over a period of time or section of dives.

These are all good suggestions (some of them we have already been actively considering). We appreciate the input as it helps us prioritize our (limited) resources.

One tricky part with "group editing" comments is that all the comments in the group would need to be replaced with the newly entered comment. There are certainly cases where this would be appropriate to start entering a group of dives, but once you start putting dive specific comments there is a risk of users inadvertently replacing comments that they didn't intend to replace. Up to this point we have chosen the conservative (safe?) path.

Thanks again for your comments and suggestions. They are always welcome. Obviously there are lots of ways to design logbook software (at least as many as their are logbook application in the market apparently) and it is nice to have guidance on which approaches are most desired by users.

Cheers,

Greg