iPhone Syncing

Discussion of the macOS applications DiveLogDT and Dive Log Manager
BBY

iPhone Syncing

Post by BBY » Wed Mar 23, 2016 1:24 am

Hi peeps - new member

Just looking at using iOS and OS version of the software. Have logbook set up on iPhone and Pad.

I have searched the forums and may have missed this advise, if so apologies.

I want to upload my mobile logbooks to my Mac. I have found my IP address, but can't find the port number. Anybody got any help?

Also I sync my mobile log books with iCloud, can I recover and use this instead?

Ade

support

Re: iPhone Syncing

Post by support » Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:16 am

Hi Ade,

You should not need to enter your IP address or Port number unless, for some reason, your network configuration is not allowing Apple's Bonjour Technology to identify your iPhone in Dive Log DT/Dive Log Manager when you enable sync on your iPhone. The normal way of initiating a Sync between Dive Log on iOS and Dive Log DT/Dive Log Manager on the Mac are as follows:

1) Make sure that both your iPhone and Mac are connected to the same Wi-Fi network and ensure that neither are connected to the "guest network" side of your router.
2) Start Dive Log DT/Dive Log Manager on your Mac
3) Start Dive Log on your iPhone and tap the Synchronization tab (under the "..." tab by default) and then tap "Wi-Fi Synchronization" and then tap the "Enable Sync" button in the upper right hand corner. Note that the Synchronization feature on the iPad is reached via the Sync icon in the bottom of the sidebar on the iPad.
4) Back on your Mac, after a few seconds, the name of your iPhone/iPad should show up under the SYNCHRONIZE item in the sidebar, click on it's name

You should now be able to make the appropriate choice from the bottom on the sync screen. If this is the first time that you are using the combination and want to get your dives from your iPhone/iPad onto your Mac (replacing any content that might be in the Mac's logbook) you should pick the "Copy Logbook FROM Device" button. At that point you will have the same logbook on both your iPhone/iPad and your Mac.

If the "Enable Sync" button is not available this indicates that you iPhone/iPad is not connected to Wi-Fi. You'll need to get connected to the correct network for the sync to work. If the iPhone/iPad's name never shows up on the Mac then you should check the network that your Mac and iPhone/iPad is connected to and make sure that it is the same network (same base IP address) and that it is not the guest network side of your router (typically has "guest" in the SSID). You can also check to make sure that you don't have a firewall in place that is blocking the Bonjour traffic (i.e. the Apple protocol that allows devices to discover each other and automatically configure IP addresses and Port numbers).

If you do need to use the manual synchronization method due to a firewall configuration or some other networking issue, you can get the IP Address and Port Number from Dive Log. Once you have tapped the "Enable Sync" button, just tap the "i" icon in the lower right hand corner of the Synchronization screen. This will reveal a diagnostics screen that shows the currently used IP Address and Port Number (not that the Port Number will change each time you Enable Sync).

Unfortunately, you can not get the logbook out of iCloud. This was possible, but a current bug in iOS is preventing the required feature from working. So the iCloud logbooks can only be used between two iOS devices signed in with the same Apple ID.

I hope that helps. If you are still having difficulties, please contact us directly via email (support 'at' moremobilesoftware 'dot' com).

Cheers,

Greg