Two-Way Sync Creates Blank Records

Discussion of the macOS applications DiveLogDT and Dive Log Manager
donrush

Two-Way Sync Creates Blank Records

Post by donrush » Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:51 am

I recently loaded Dive Log DT on my Mac and Dive Log on my iPhone. I imported all my dives in from DiverLog, created a buddy and sync'ed them to my iPhone. This worked without issue as a one way sync. I then imported a new buddy and deleted the one I created in Dive Log DT (different first name but same last) on my iPhone in Dive Log and again worked fine. I then went back to Dive Log DT and had it do a two-way sync. This is where my troubles started. My new buddy I created on my iPhone imported fine however my other buddy I deleted did not delete in Dive Log DT and showed back up in Dive Log. Now to the real issue I have having. Whenever I do a two-way sync it creates blank records for each dive I have. I ran it twice and so my for dive 1 I now have the real record and two blank ones and I suspect if I ran it again I would have the real record and three blank ones all listed as dive 1. This happen for all 21 one dives I have in the database. Any help would be great!

Don

support

Re: Two-Way Sync Creates Blank Records

Post by support » Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:41 pm

WELL! I duplicated your instructions here, with the full expectation that there wouldn't be a problem. Wasn't I surprised when the same thing happened. After a long day of diagnosis, we have determined that the "base" (empty) Logbook file we use to create new logbooks was corrupted somehow in the (recent) release process. The problem won't happen with existing Logbook files, but if you create a new empty logbook and start to fill it up, the "old" dives can get corrupted (blanked out) and so the iOS dives get added as new ones as part of a "Two-Way Sync". We don't know how or why the file was corrupted, but it happened. A new release has been submitted to Apple and will hopefully be available from them very soon. We've also pushed out a new release of Dive Log Manager from our website. And just FYI, if you instead create a new Logbook using DiveLog (on iOS) and Copy it back to the Desktop, you will not run into this problem.

So first - we are very sorry that you had trouble with the software. Second, we would be happy to email you a new version of the "empty" Logbook that you can use to start a new Logbook file with. You can import Dives etc from your old (corrupted) logbook file so that none of the Dive data is lost - that won't be a problem. And actually, if instead you would like to send us your logbook with the duplicated dives, we'll fix it up and send you back a new clean one that will work as you would expect. Just send it via email to support at moremobilesoftware dot com.

Again, very sorry for the problems you (and maybe others) have encountered.

Janice

P.S. Just to be clear for future forum readers, this problem will not effect any users with existing logbooks.

donrush

Re: Two-Way Sync Creates Blank Records

Post by donrush » Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:23 am

Thank you for the help! I downloaded the updated software and my issue has gone away.