Marine Life Data

Discussion of the iOS App Dive Log
scrumi

Marine Life Data

Post by scrumi » Sat Dec 21, 2019 11:27 am

It would be really nice if there was some marine life sets that could be imported in. I know marine life is massively abundant which including every species would be a huge dataset and be a lot of noise, but I think this feature could be teased out a bit with regex live search etc, and the 1000 most popular items etc etc. There could even be some geographically relevant datasets that people could import. Obviously without images as that would eat up a ton of space.

That said does anyone have a well developed marine life section in their log books for North Pacific, Atlantic, or Caribbean locations? If so and willing to share I'd be happy to take the SQL and trim out all the elements so it was just a marine life set.

support

Re: Marine Life Data

Post by support » Sat Dec 21, 2019 11:57 am

Hi,

I'm sure that you are aware that Dive Log does include the ability to import marine life data from EOL.org (if anyone is not aware of this, it is a pretty quick way to fill out details of or find specific marine life items). Of course, this feature currently only allows you to import one item at a time.

There are some challenges to supporting multiple downloads from a single search, but that might be something we could look at doing in the future. Because of the nature of scientific classifications, there are choices about each item that you probably want to make. However it might be possible to import a group of scientific and common names from a specific region or based on a specific search criteria. If you are technically oriented, the EOL.org site does have some pretty powerful queries that you could run to generate your own lists if you had some grouping ideas that you wanted (for example it wouldn't be too hard to get all the sharks that exist in the Pacific).

The design center of Dive Log's database is to include marine life items that you have encountered (rather than being a general marine life database ... there are a number of great apps that serve that purpose). I would caution again having too many items (particularly with images) that you are not using in your logbook as it can (eventually) things like synchronization more unwieldily.

Cheers,

Greg

scrumi

Re: Marine Life Data

Post by scrumi » Sat Dec 21, 2019 12:03 pm

I actually didn't see the import function and I'm playing with it now.