Unable to edit dives in the mac desktop version

Discussion of the iOS App Dive Log
philbu

Unable to edit dives in the mac desktop version

Post by philbu » Fri Jul 02, 2021 3:23 am

Hello,

Since recently, when I open the mac desktop app, I am getting an error message and cannot edit dives (or sync).

It says: "Logbook is Read-only. this Logbook file is stored in a Cloud Service and therefore is unable to be updated safely.". The logbook is stored in the document folder which is indeed synced on iCloud, but this was working previously.

Any idea ?

Thanks

Philippe

Rumpunch90

Re: Unable to edit dives in the mac desktop version

Post by Rumpunch90 » Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:31 am

Philippe,

Not that it helps you, but I have the same problem. I can edit on the iOS app, but then then synchronisation doesn't work.

Cheers

Mark

support

Re: Unable to edit dives in the mac desktop version

Post by support » Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:31 am

Hi Philippe,

The newest version of DiveLogDT was changed to help protect users from potentially corrupting their logbooks by using them directly from a cloud synchronized folder such as iCloud Drive, Google Drive, Dropbox or OneDrive. Since DiveLogDT’s active logbook file is a database file it can be corrupted if a transaction is in progress at the same time that the underlying cloud system decided to upload or download the active logbook with its servers. The cases where data is corrupted are rare, but they are unrecoverable when they happen (without a backup file).

In order to open your logbook you’ll want to do one of the following:

1) Close DiveLogDT
2) Copy or move your logbook file to a local file system (i.e. one that is not automatically synchronized with the cloud server)
3) Start DiveLogDT again and dismiss the popup
4) Use File->Open and select the file that you moved in step 2 from its new location

or you can:

1) Start DiveLogDT and dismiss the popup
2) Choose File->New from the menu and choose a location in your local file system (i.e. one that is not automatically synchronized with the cloud server)
3) Choose the “Cloud” option from user the SYNCHRONIZE item in the sidebar
4) Click on the “Import/Restore Logbook FROM Cloud” and select your original logbook in the cloud

Since you've opted into having your documents folder synchronized to iCloud Drive you will need to choose a location outside of the documents folder (or any others that are automatically synced with iCloud Drive). This could be the Downloads folder or a new folder you create at you "home" folder level.

Please take a looks at this other forum post for a more detailed explanation of the mechanism at work when using databases (and some other types of files) directly from cloud synchronized folders. There are circumstances where it will almost always be risk free but it is hard as a user to guarantee this.

I hope that helps explain the situation. We are still evaluating this change and appreciate your feedback.

Thanks,
Greg