Importing UDDF Files from DiveMate

diggydoede

Importing UDDF Files from DiveMate

Post by diggydoede » Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:07 am

Hello,

when I try to import a *.uddf file from iCloud Drive I cannot select the *.uddf file (is greyed out).

Any advise what I do wrong?

Thanks

Dirk

support

Re: Importing UDDF Files from DiveMate

Post by support » Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:30 pm

Hi Dirk,

Since, as you have indicated, we should be looking for a file with a "dot uddf" extension, and it's greyed out, our only guess is that it might have 2 extensions. For example, we have recently seen a logbook program export to a "dot udcf dot xml" or specifically "*.udcf.xml". In this case, perhaps also the "xml" extension is hidden so it just looks like the .uddf is there.

If you have a Mac, you can navigate to the file with Finder and you should be able to see if it has anything else at the end of the name. If you just have an iOS device, use the Files app and navigate to where it is in iCloud Drive. Then long press on the file to reveal the menu. Then select "Info" from the menu and you will see the full file name and make sure that it ends in .uddf with nothing else. You should also be able to rename it from the same menu if need be.

Please let us know if this is not the problem so we can look more into it.

Thanks!
Janice

diggydoede

Post by diggydoede » Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:23 pm

Hi Janice,

thanks for your quick reply.

The filename is "DMExport_2019-04-27_20-08-02.uddf" without a .xml extension. BTW: DiveLogDT can import it from the same place, but I would have my iPad on the boat to do the job.

Any other idea?

Thanks!
Dirk

support

Post by support » Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:20 am

Hi Dirk,

Could you send me a screenshot of the iCloud Drive screen where the UDDF file is not selectable showing the UDDF file itself? You can take a screenshot of the iPad screen by using the instructions at this link: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT200289 and then send it to me at our support email address (support 'at' moremobilesoftware 'dot' com)? I'm particularly interested in the icon that is attached to the file.

I have an idea about what might be going on and the screenshot might help me sort out the offending application. The way that the "file" selection works on the iPad is a little complicated (it is not based strictly on the file extension) and it is possible for applications to "steal" access to certain file types by the way they express their interest in those file types (they are not trying to do anything nefarious it is just an outcome that the system iOS uses can lead to). My best guess is that the offending application is DiveMate itself but it could be another application on your iPad. Unfortunately, to work around it I'll have to make a new version of Dive Log available once I sort out who is grabbing the access. The other work around is to remove the offending application from your iPad but, understandably, that might be an issue for you for other reasons. If you have an iPhone with you as well and don't need DiveMate (and I'm guessing correctly) on the iPhone, you could install Dive Log on the iPhone (it is included with your purchase of Dive Log for the iPad) and sync your logbook to the iPhone, import the UDDF file and then sync the logbook back to your iPad.

I'm sorry about the inconvenience this is causing you. Unfortunately, this is nothing that is largely out of our control until we know about any given application choosing to express their interest in file types we work with in this way. Hopefully, between the screenshot and the suggested workaround we can get you going.

Cheers,

Greg

diggydoede

Post by diggydoede » Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:02 am

Hi Greg,

you are right - on the iPhone I removed DiveMate and it worked immediately. (After reinstalling Divemate ist didn't work anymore - so it is confirmed that DiveMate is causing the trouble)

As a workaround I can import it by the proposed way, but is there anything you (or DiveMate) could do? I would be willing to forward any change request to them if there is a way they can change DiveMates behavior if it is not possible at your end - but would need some sort of arguments.

Thanks for your help identifying the "troublemaker".

Dirk

diggydoede

Post by diggydoede » Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:16 am

Funny:

When I install Divemate first and DiveLog second it works. If I do it the other way round the import in DiveLog does not work.

So until the next DiveLog Update it will work on both devices, I just have to remember to delete DiveMate and reinstall as well :-)

Dirk

support

Post by support » Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:21 am

Hi Dirk,

Thank you. Now that I know about the problem I can "fix" it in Dive Log. It will require an updated version of Dive Log so you'll need to use the work around for now but I'll get an update that deals with this situation out as quickly as possible.

Thank you for letting us know about it and for helping to identify the "culprit". Knowing is 80% of the battle :-)!

Cheers,

Greg

diggydoede

Post by diggydoede » Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:16 am

You're welcome :-)

Keep on with the excellent work you do!

Dirk

support

Post by support » Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:06 am

Hi Dirk,

I just wanted to let you know that the latest update to Dive Log (3.2.4) should resolve your issue with importing UDDF files while DiveMate is installed on your device. I was able to fix the issue in a way that is general so even if another app were to come along that would have led to a similar problem it should work now.

Thanks again for your help isolating the issue and for you patience working around it until it was addressed. Of course, if you experience the issue with the new version of Dive Log let me know.

Cheers,

Greg

diggydoede

Post by diggydoede » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:21 am

Hi Greg,

thank you very much for the fix - I will look into it, but it may take some time ;-)

I come back to you on this topic.

Dirk