Importing dives

Importing dives

Postby ppcunha » Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:28 pm

Is there a way to import from a CSV file? I have all my 2000+ dives in an unsupported application but it can export to .CSV or Excel. If not, is there any documentation on an easy to understand supported format that I could convert from Excel?
ppcunha

Re: Importing dives

Postby support » Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:06 am

Hi,

There is no way to directly import from a CSV file (or Excel) into Dive Log. Both of these have challenges in that they are not self describing so it is hard to tell which column represents what kind of data and even if you can tell that it is nearly impossible determine automatically how to interpret that data (for example is 18.6 in meters or feet if you can even tell that it is depth?).

You could try to convert it to UDDF (http://uddf.org) which can be imported by Dive Log directly and is probably the best documented interchange format. However, before you go down that road, why don't you send me both a copy of the generated .CSV file and the EXCEL file and I will look at them and see if I can apply any of the tricks that I've come up with over the years to get you a file format that you can import directly. You can email the files to our support email address (support 'at' moremobilesoftware 'dot' com). I can't make any promises, but I'm certainly willing to take a look. Also, let me know if you use a Mac or PC as that will inform how I send any data back to you to integrate into your logbook.

Cheers,

Greg
support

how to import dives from petrel 1?

Postby Grybadeengel » Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:59 am

I can´t import dives from my petrel computer - and saw to late that the shearwater download does not support the petrel1. What is the best way to do get my dives in the app?
Grybadeengel

Re: Importing dives

Postby support » Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:19 pm

The Petrel 1 can be downloaded using DiveLogDT on the Mac or Diving Log 6.0 on the PC. Both of these applications can synchronize with Dive Log on iOS. You can also use the free Dive Log Manager on the Mac in conjunction with Shearwater Desktop (you download your Petrel 1 with Shearwater Desktop and then use the Shearwater option under IMPORT in the sidebar to import your dives from Shearwater desktop). Dive Log Manager can also sync with Dive Log on iOS.

In fact, you can use Dive Log and any of these three applications to capture data on your dive trip and then later sync and merge with the data from your Petrel 1 so that the log data from your Petrel 1 is added to the data that you manually collected at the dive site (GPS Location, dive site info, buddy's signature, etc.). This way you can travel with just your iPhone and Petrel 1 and enter dive data as you go and then complete your log by adding the data from your Petrel 1 when you get back to your computer.

To do this you would follow these steps:

1) Dive with your Petrel 1 and manually create a dive entry in Dive Log entering the data that you want for each dive that you do.
2) When you are back at your computer, sync Dive Log on iOS with DiveLogDT, Dive Log Manager or Diving Log 6.0 on your PC.
3) Download your Petrel 1 directly (or in the case of Dive Log Manager from import from Shearwater Desktop) and then select the dives you'd like to import.
4) Then in the lower panel of DiveLogDT or Dive Log Manager (or the last dialog screen in Diving Log 6.0) pick the first existing dive in your logbook that matches the first dive selected in step 3 then click "Import"

each dive from your dive computer will be merged with each dive in turn from your iPhone (starting with the one you selected in step 4) updating the entry with the unique information captured on your dive computer.

5) You can then sync with your iPhone again to have a complete record of your dives on both your iPhone and your computer.

I hope that helps.

Cheers,
Greg

P.S. If you don't want the Shearwater Download in-app purchase, you can click on the "report a problem" button in the invoice email that you receive from Apple and then when you get to the appropriate webpage, pick the "Purchased by mistake" option. Assuming you purchased it a reasonable time ago you should get a refund from Apple. Technically the App Store policy is that all sales are final, but they do seem to make allowances for mistakes.
support

Return to Dive Log