Update iOS locations from Desktop App

Update iOS locations from Desktop App

Postby josephpye » Tue Jul 05, 2016 6:00 pm

My apologies if this has been answered. I tried to search for location, update, sync, iOS, etc., and the forum said there were too many posts with those terms to show anything.

I started with the IOS app and entered dives and locations. I then bought the full version app. In the desktop app I reviewed my locations and updated the site locations on existing dive sites. For example, I added a state and country to an entry previously just listing the city.

The issue is that I cannot get that info to sync to the iOS app. Now, the desktop locations show the updated location information, including state and country. The iOS app still shows the old options and none of the dives on the app are updated.

I tried two options for sync. First I tried the "two-way" sync. That didn't work. Then, I tried the copy logbook TO device. This also didn't work.

Any ideas?
josephpye

Re: Update iOS locations from Desktop App

Postby josephpye » Tue Jul 05, 2016 6:06 pm

Well, I solved the issue. I chose to use a new logbook on the iOS app and then restored the correct logbook from the desktop app to the iOS app. Problem solved!
josephpye

Re: Update iOS locations from Desktop App

Postby support » Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:10 am

Hi,

The issue you described is usually caused by people not tapping the "Use new Logbook" button on the WiFi Synchronization screen in Dive Log in iOS after the new logbook has been transferred fro the Mac. This is an understandable oversight as it is not obvious that this should be necessary (and frankly, it probably isn't anymore as it is a vestige from the days before the iPhone supported background processing for 3rd party applications).

Obviously, you sorted this out, but to be clear for other users. When a logbook is transferred from any of the supported desktop applications it is held in a temporary location on the iPhone/iPad. Then the "Use new Logbook" button becomes "green" in color to indicate that a new logbook is ready to be loaded. When you tap the "Use new Logbook" button the logbook that you were using is copied to a backup location (so you can use the now "red" colored "Restore Previous Logbook" button to get back to were you started if the transferred logbook is not right for some reason) and the just transferred logbook is moved to become your currently active logbook and Dive Log reloads it's data from this new logbook.

Sorry about the confusion. This is certainly a weak point in our user interface.

Cheers,

Greg
support

Return to DiveLogDT/Dive Log Manager