Marine Life Manager

Marine Life Manager

Postby captfanta » Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:39 am

Hi, on IOS, when I've tried to lookup for marine life information, I only got some spinning wheels looking for info without never founding something. So, I bought the app in Mac thinking that it would be more precise, but every time I am trying to lookup for a marine life specie, I got 500 internal server error...
captfanta

Re: Marine Life Manager

Postby support » Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:45 pm

Hello captfanta,

We use the encyclopedia of life website (eol.org) to do the lookup of Marine Life information. They have recently had a bunch of problems with the site stability starting about 4 weeks ago, followed by completely re-doing the website with an entirely new version about 1 week ago (which they had been planning for quite some time). Although they said that the API available to developers like us should be exactly the same even with the new site, it's still not currently working. As you have noted with "500 internal server error" sent to our Applications.

It's going to take us a little time to communicate with them and find out whether or not the commands we are using really are supposed to be backwards compatible and they are just continuing to have site stability problems, or whether or not their new website is only partially backwards compatible and we'll need to modify Dive Log and DiveLogDT to be compliant with their new website.

Sorry that we don't have a better answer for you. We'll update this forum topic as soon as we know more.

Thanks for your patience,
Janice
support

Postby RStael » Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:31 am

Hi Janice,

Is there an update on the ability to import Marine life from EOL?

Thank you
Robert
RStael

Postby support » Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:32 am

Hi Robert,

Yes, the Marine Life lookup at EOL.org is working in DiveLogDT (and Dive Log on iOS) again. It actually has been working for quite a while now, so please let us know if you are having any difficulties. I just checked it this morning and it worked fine for me. There was an outage at EOL.org last week while they did some maintenance, but other than that it has been working as far as I know.

Just as a reminder, you use the "Marine Life" item under "LOGBOOK" in the sidebar of DiveLogDT and then use the "New Marine Life" item under the gear icon or the "New Item" on the main Edit menu to add a new marine life item. Then click on the "Lookup" button to begin your search on EOL.org. If you have an existing marine life item that you want to update, just click on its current name and then click the "Edit" button. The search is a little less broad based since EOL.org switched to their new platform although they are improving it regularly as they finish migrating their data to the new platform. You might need to to try your search in a couple of different ways to get the critter you are looking for with their new platform but I'm finding that most searches result in the critter I'm looking for.

Let us know if you are still having issues and we can take a closer look at your specific situation.

Cheers,

Greg
support

Return to DiveLogDT/Dive Log Manager