Oceanic 2.0 Crashing

Oceanic 2.0 Crashing

Postby rossi141 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:50 am

Hi - I am away at a dive just now. My Oceanic 2.0 (which I use all the time) now crashes the DiveLog DT app on my OSX Sierra 10.12.6.
I set to Pelagic, it recognizes the cable etc, but as soon as I hit Download, DiveLogDT crashes.
Anyone got any ideas?

Cheers
Colin
rossi141

Re: Oceanic 2.0 Crashing

Postby support » Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:16 pm

P.S. I moved this topic into the DiveLogDT/Dive Log Manager category since it's specific to the Mac

rossi141 wrote:
> Hi - I am away at a dive just now. My Oceanic 2.0 (which I use all the
> time) now crashes the DiveLog DT app on my OSX Sierra 10.12.6.
> I set to Pelagic, it recognizes the cable etc, but as soon as I hit
> Download, DiveLogDT crashes.
> Anyone got any ideas?

This is my fault. I inadvertently introduced a bug for users that are *not* using a kernel device driver, but are using DiveLogDT's own internal driver :-(

I will be fast tracking a new version of the application through the Apple review process that fixes the problem. Alternatively, you can download the kernel device driver from FTDI and install it and use it instead of the builtin one. There is no difference as far as you're concerned, we just need to be able to work with both drivers since some users install the FTDI one in order to work with the Pelagic supplied "DiverLog" and "DiverLog Lite" applications.

If you want to download and install it on your Mac, the main page is here:
http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm

And the direct download link is here:
http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP/MacOSX/FTDIUSBSerialDriver_v2_4_2.dmg

If there is a reason you can't or don't want to download and install those drivers, you can either wait for the new version of DiveLogDT to show up in the Mac App Store, or I can try and send you a "Beta" version of the fixed application when it is available.

So sorry for the inconvenience while you are diving,
Janice
support

Postby rossi141 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:21 pm

Perfect - will install the driver tomorrow. Apologies for posting in the wrong forum.
rossi141

Postby rossi141 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:02 am

FYI - installed the FTDI drivers, and all works well. Note: Must reboot Mac after installation for this to start working.

Thanks again for assistance.
rossi141

Postby support » Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:03 am

Excellent. Also, Apple was really quick this time and a new version of DiveLogDT with this bug fixed was just released yesterday.

Timing is everything :-)

Janice
support

Postby rossi141 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:43 am

I took the new version - seems that it is not working again. Do the 2 drivers conflict?
The symptoms are that DiveLogDT does not recognize that anything is plugged in any more, and the . My Mac makes a beep when plugging in, so it seems to recognize, but the DiveLog does not. I am pretty sure it used to say "Waiting for Cable" or words to that effect - it no longer does.
rossi141

Postby support » Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:43 am

Wha! How odd. No there is no change between the previous version and this version except for the small "housekeeping" change I had to make to have it not crash without a kernel driver. And no there is no conflict - you're just using one or the other.

So if the cable is not plugged in or recognized, yes you remember correctly there's a message at the top saying "Waiting for cable". You should be able to start up DiveLogDT, have it say the waiting for cable message, then plug in just the USB end and then it should say "Click Download when your dive computer is ready". Then you could unplug and go back to the previous message. You can plug and unplug to your hearts content. (No need for any connection on the dive computer end). So are you not getting the 2nd message?

It's a bit of a cliche, but if things seem messed up then you could try rebooting again. Let me know some more details.

Janice
support

Postby rossi141 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:37 pm

Thanks - reboot fixed it. Feel like I am back on Windoze ;-)
rossi141

Postby support » Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:44 pm

OK good. Phew!
support

Return to DiveLogDT/Dive Log Manager