Equipment List

Equipment List

Postby DavesScuba » Thu Jul 28, 2016 3:13 am

I've populated my active equipment list under the description tab, and toggle between the 'active' and 'all' list depending upon the dive. Whenever I download a new dive the 'active' list auto-populates, however I have to manually check each box for every single piece of equipment used on that dive. It would be very helpful to provide a "Select all" checkbox at the top, in the Equipment header line. Thanks
DavesScuba

Re: Equipment List

Postby support » Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:53 am

We can certainly look at adding this kind of feature. Our design philosophy works slightly differently though. Often, when you go diving, your dive logging from one dive to the next are very similar if not identical. When you're going diving in a particular place, it looks a lot like the dive you just did, or one that you did previously. So we have the ability to "duplicate a dive". If you pick the previous dive that you have all setup with all the equipment that you used, and then duplicate it, not only will all the equipment you used already be all set, but also the suit and weight, types and weather and tank sizes and buddies and etc. That way, logging a new dive is very easy and you just need to identify the things that are *different* from one dive to the next, and not have to re-enter the same information for a new dive.

Hope that helps the work flow a little,
Janice

P.S. And then of course if you're downloading a dive computer, you would download into or *merge* into this new dive(s) you already created, and not add to the end of the list. Please contact us or check our website if you need more information about this feature.
support

Postby DavesScuba » Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:18 am

I logged 3 dives yesterday and attempted to update DLM as you suggested. I duplicated a previous dive and imported a new dive as a merge into the duplicated dive and amended the information relevant to the new dive. I then had to duplicate another dive and repeat the process for each dive logged in my computer or imported from another platform (MacDive, LogTrack, etc.), as I could only do this for one dive at a time. In the past I was able to download all new dives at the same time and then amend each dive as appropriate. I must be missing something because the work around you suggested required as many keystrokes and toggles between programs than my past practice of batch imports of new dives and checking each box for equipment used. I'll just continue to update as I did in the past and wait for a possible update that includes a "select all' button (should you decide that this feature is warranted). Thank you.
DavesScuba

Postby support » Sat Jul 30, 2016 3:18 pm

Doing it one at a time like that should be the exception and not the rule. If you did 3 dives yesterday - let's say they were Dive# 42,43,44 in your logbook. You can duplicate your dive#41 three(3) times to create the new dives with all the same basic information in them. Now download your dives from your dive computer. Now select the 3 dives in the top window. Now set your starting dive# to #42 (it should select this automatically). Now press the Import button. Presto Magico, you have put 3 dives into 3 dives. Much less keystrokes and much less work.

The exception to this would be when your dive computer has registered 2 dives for what should really be 1 dive. Then you need to import the 2 dives, go to the Dives panel and select the first one, and then right click and say "Append following Dive". Now you have made the 2 dives on your dive computer into 1 dive in your logbook. Then you can go back to the appropriate Download panel and continue to import as many dives as you want into the right place after that.

Let us know if you still don't think this is more efficient than a "Select All" button.
Thanks,
Janice

P.S. You can pick any dive# to duplicate to create your next dive. So if you want to use any particular dive as a "template", you can do that. (Eg: if you're changing dive regions and therefore the kind of diving you're doing)
support

Return to DiveLogDT/Dive Log Manager