Export Logbook to Suunto DM5

Export Logbook to Suunto DM5

Postby MKeller » Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:14 am

Hi,

is there any way to export my Logbook to Suunto DM5 / export Logbook into a compatible format?

Thank you very much.

Best,
Michael
MKeller

Re: Export Logbook to Suunto DM5

Postby support » Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:29 am

Hi Michael,

Suunto's DM5 ability to import dive data exchange formats is fairly limited. You can directly export DAN's DL7 format from DiveLogDT/Dive Log Manager and you can also import DiveLogDT/Dive Log Manager into other applications such as Diving Log 6.0 (which is a Windows application) that can export to other interchange formats like UDDF and UDCF as well as generic CSV files. Unfortunately, most interchange formats will necessarily leave some data behind as they don't have a way to represent all the data that a logbook application can store.

We find that most people are going the other way and looking to migrate data from DM5 to 3rd party applications like DiveLogDT/Dive Log Manager. To that end, many 3rd party applications (including DiveLogDT/Dive Log Manager) can import directly from the Suunto DM5 database. If your goal is related to supporting a specific Suunto dive computer, DiveLogDT can currently download a very wide variety Suunto's devices or you can download them using DM5 and import the resulting data to DiveLogDT/Dive Log Manager.

My understanding is that Suunto DM5's import formats are limited to SDE, XML, SDP and SML. The XML format is a bit deceiving in that XML is a generic data description format and the data needs to be structured in a specific way to be understood by DM5. I'm not familiar with their XML tag structure, but in theory it would be possible to transcode from a different format into their XML format if one knew what it looked like. If having an CSV format version of your logbook data would help, I'd be happy to help generate one for you that you could then use to create an XML file format file (contact me directly at our support email address if you would like to discuss this: support 'at' moremobilesoftware 'dot' com). I believe the other three file formats are older Suunto logbook file formats and would probably not be suitable for this purpose.

I'm sorry that I don't have a more straight forward answer for you. We be happy to do what we can, within reason, to help meet your goals. So feel free to reach out via email if you'd like to discuss your needs further.

Cheers,

Greg
support

Return to DiveLogDT/Dive Log Manager