Wifi-Sync to Diving Log 5.0

Discussion of the iOS App Dive Log
drobertsca

Wifi-Sync to Diving Log 5.0

Post by drobertsca » Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:22 pm

Hi folks,

Nice app. I'm sure this has already been answered but I'm having a bit of a problem understanding the two way wifi sync. It's odd since the behaviour is exactly what seems described in the Diving Log 5.0 UI ... but I was kind of hoping there was a true two-way sync and not a one way merge. Not sure if I'm missing something or doing something wrong. Or if everything is working as designed.

Here is the example.

1) Starting from the position of having the same log book on both Diving Log 5.0 on my PC and Dive Log on my iPhone 5.
2) Make a change to dive 1 on my PC
3) Make change to dive 2 on my iPhone
4) Press Sync button on PC
5) Go to Wi-Fi sync and Enable Sync on iPhone

All fine so far.

6) If I choose "Receive from iPhone" after the transfer Diving Log 5.0 on my PC has both the change I made on the PC and the change I made on the iPhone. This is what I would expect given the description of the action "Import dives from your iPhone"

However, on the iPhone I see only the change I made on the iPhone. Not the change I made on the PC. Again, this matches exactly what the description would imply.

Conversely if I where to choose the "Send to iPhone" function (starting fresh) then my iPhone would have the PC change but would Lose the iPhone change. Again, this matches what the description says in the UI "Overwrite your logbook on the iPhone"

It appears in order to really get a two-way sync to work I need to:

1) Receive from iPhone
immedateily followed by
2) Send to iPhone.

I guess I thought from reading the FAQ on 2-way sync that there would be a single step I could execute to get this to work? Not a big deal, but just wanted to make sure I was doing everything correctly and that I don't have some weird state.

Thanks again for a great app.

...Dean...

support

Re: Wifi-Sync to Diving Log 5.0

Post by support » Wed Jun 24, 2015 3:02 pm

Hi Dean,

You have correctly understood the sync process with Diving Log 5.0. The actual sync'ing all happens on the desktop side (Dive Log simply sends the file to Diving Log 5.0 or received a new file it does not do any processing of the file itself during a Wi-Fi sync). So in order to effect a two-way sync you need to first get all the changes from the iPhone onto the PC and then sync the resulting file back to the iPhone (and press the "Use new Logbook" button to get Dive Log to load the just transferred file). Other compatible desktop applications (for example Dive Log DT or MacDive) do support a one-step two-way sync but they are doing exactly the same thing under the covers (they simply hold the network connection open until they are done processing the file and then send the result back to the iPhone. Diving Log 5.0 did not implement things this way so that you could sync from your iPhone to your PC and then do other work to the data on the PC before sending the data back to the iPhone (Dive Log DT for example offers both options).

If this is a big issue for you, you could contact the developer of Diving Log 5.0 to see if he could add a one step "two-way sync" option. The Dive Log sync protocol certainly supports that option if he choose to take advantage of it.

I hope that helps.

Greg

drobertsca

Re: Wifi-Sync to Diving Log 5.0

Post by drobertsca » Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:05 am

Thanks for the reply Greg,

I don't think this will be a big deal, just wanted to make sure I was understanding things correctly. I have a suspicion that now that I've transcribed all my paper logs, I probably won't be entering too many changes through the PC software.