Divelog sync/backup

Divelog sync/backup

Postby Ron » Sun May 24, 2015 6:55 am

Hi,

I have a licensed divelog on my ipad.

I have synchronised my data From divelog on my iPad to diving log 5.0 on my pc.
This is for Back-up purposes. It looks like the #lines in divinglog does not match with the #lines in divelog.
Unfortunately divinglog does not allow to check the line content nor further export/Back-up for verificatiemethode (more than 10 lines).

Can you confirm all users in the divelogprogram are synchronised automaticaly or do i need to perform the sync action for each user?
Please advice how I Can check if the sync is complete. Any other way to Back-up besides i cloud and/of buying divinglog.

Thanks. (Besides this unfriendly hurdle the program workshop great!)
Ron

Re: Divelog sync/backup

Postby support » Sun May 24, 2015 9:12 am

Hi Ron,

I'm not really sure that I understand what you are comparing when you say "the #lines" don't match. However, if you are using the demo version of Diving Log 5.0 to back up your logbook stored in Dive Log on iOS using the "BackUp" feature of Diving Log 5.0 then an exact copy of your currently active logbook file in Dive Log on iOS is saved to your PC. If you are using the multiple logbook feature of Dive Log on iOS then you need to sync each logbook independently as each one is a separate database.

To complete a backup you would take the following steps:

1) In Diving Log 5.0 on the PC click the Sync button
2) In Dive Log on iOS tap the "Enable Sync" button
3) When the name of your iOS device shows up in the Sync dialog on the PC clic on the "Info" button
4) You should see the "Backup" and "Restore" buttons, click on the Backup button
5) You will be asked for a location to save your backup on the PC.

To restore this same logbook back to the iOS device you'd uses these steps:

1) In Diving Log 5.0 on the PC click the Sync button
2) In Dive Log on iOS tap the "Enable Sync" button
3) When the name of your iOS device shows up in the Sync dialog on the PC clic on the "Info" button
4) You should see the "Backup" and "Restore" buttons, click on the Restore button
5) You will be asked to select the previous saved backup file, select that
6) Once the transfer is done, tap the "Use new Logbook" button (which will now be green in color) on your iOS device to load the restored logbook.

You can verify your backup by doing a restore and checking that all your dives are present. If you have any difficulties with your logbook after a restore, you can revert to the logbook you were using prior to pressing the "Use new Logbook" button by pressing the (now red colored) "Restore Previous Logbook" button.

If you were using the multiple logbook feature of Dive Log you need to back up each logbook separately. To do this you would simply make each logbook the active logbook (the first item in the in-app Settings) and then perform a back up with the steps above. The Sync function always works with the currently active logbook.

Your logbook is also backup as part of your normal device backup via iTunes Sync or the regular iCloud backup (depending on which one you have selected). This is primarily for use when you replace a lost device or upgrade your device as it does require a complete replacement of the contents of all apps on your device so it is good to do both types of backups. Finally, you can use the iCloud Synchronization feature of Dive Log to backup your logbook to your Apple supplied iCloud Drive.

I hope that helps.

Cheers,
Greg
support

Re: Divelog sync/backup

Postby Ron » Mon May 25, 2015 9:18 am

Hi, Thanks for our response and clarification. I now understand That I have to Back-up for each divelog user.
Regards,
Ron

Return to Dive Log