Mac and iPad not syncing over wifi

Mac and iPad not syncing over wifi

Postby mike_finister » Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:47 am

I wanted to load a log book onto a new iPad; did the usual sequence of events - started sync on the iPad in the app - my iPad showed up in the side bar on the OS X app - clicked on that and....nothing...keeps saying waiting for connection and the iPad

So I can't sync at all - the iPad just hangs there with no buttons coming up and the Mac just keeps waiting for a wifi connection - but it knows the iPad is there - it showed up in the sidebar.

This is weird because I've done this before on another iPad and it worked fine - in fact did some two way syncing. Now even my other iPad isn't syncing at all - so I'm assuming that the latest update of the iOS app has changed something - or an OS X update has broken something.

Anyone else having a similar problem?

Basically - this makes the paid apps (Mac, iOS for iPad and iPhone) pretty useless pieces of software if I can't sync between then etc.
mike_finister

Re: Mac and iPad not syncing over wifi

Postby support » Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:17 am

Hi Mike,

This is likely a transient problem that is being caused by your network. Try the following to see if things start working:

1) Restart your Wi-Fi router by unplugging it from the wall and plugging it back in after about 30 seconds.
-- routers can get confused about the path between any two devices on the network (Mac and iPad). Resetting the router causes the router to rebuild the cache (called a routing table) that it maintains for how to get from one device to another. The reason that the Mac "sees" the iPad is that the initial configuration of the connections uses a technology called Bonjour that does not require the Mac and iPad to talk directly (they each only talk to the router). Once the Mac get the information from the router about the iPad it tries to make a direct connection and this is what it can't do.

2) Try restarting your Mac (reboot from the "Apple" menu) and your iPad (press and hold the "Sleep/Wake" button at the same time as the "Home" button until the "Slide to turn off" control appears.
-- this is particularly likely to help if you recently upgraded to iOS 8 or Yosemite.

3) Make sure that both your Mac and iPad are connected to the "internal" and not "guest" side of your network.
-- modern routers support a guest networking mode that allows devices on this side of the network to reach the internet but not each other. If either your iPad or your Mac inadvertently connected to the guest side of the router it would be able to see the Bonjour information but not make a direct connection to the other device to make the actual connection.

If none of those steps help, please contact us on our support email address (support 'at' moremobilesoftware 'dot' com) and we'll help you walk through some additional diagnostics steps. There have been no changes to the Wi-Fi sync support in either Dive Log or Dive Log Manager/Dive Log DT in the recent past (or for a *really* long time actually) so the issue is unlikely to be due to new versions of either application.

Cheers,

Greg
support

Return to Dive Log