Ascent! ???

Ascent! ???

Postby Sloboda » Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:32 am

Hello everybody, what is the Ascent! symbol in my profil with the color red in the graphic ?

Is a too much speed ascent ? In this case, can we see the speed ascent in the software ?

I have a Suunto D4i.

Thank you very much for your help.
Sloboda

Re: Ascent! ???

Postby support » Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:24 am

When you download your dive computer it reports various warning conditions that may have occurred during your dive. The available warnings are dive computer specific and may include warnings (some are really just reporting conditions that are informational) about about missed decompressions stops, ascent rate, excessive work alarms and remain bottom time alarms. These alarms are report directly in the profile by the dive computer based on it's own internal algorithm.

In the case of Suunto dive computers they report an ascent alarm when you exceed a specific ascent rate that is dependent on the depth you are at at that time. You can look the details up in your D4i manual as they vary by dive computer and by the settings that you have chosen in the computer. I don't have the details readily available for the D4i, but an example from a different computer would be that it will report an ascent alarm if you exceed an ascent rate of 30 ft/min while you are below 15 feet and if you exceed an ascent rate of 15 ft/min above 15 ft.

Depending on the sampling frequency of your dive computer (and the length of the warning) you can calculate the specific ascent rate easily enough by positioning the "cursor" at the start of the ascent warning and taking note of the depth and time and then doing the same at the end of the warning and then calculating the ascent rate by dividing the depth difference by the time difference. Most ascent warning are pretty short (only a couple of samples) so this is likely to produce a pretty inaccurate ascent rate (the dive computer is constantly calculating your information through the dive by reports it at a lower frequency in many cases) but it should give you an idea of the rate for that particular part of your dive.

I hope that helps.

Cheers,

Greg
support

Return to Dive Log