How about support for a couple of other computers

Discussion of the iOS App Dive Log
jchance

How about support for a couple of other computers

Post by jchance » Tue May 14, 2013 9:59 pm

I have been using Mac-Dive for quite some time and really like having a Mac program to download my dive computers. I found your software while searching how to download a pair of SmartCOMs that I have acquired. I have several (9) Genesis React Pros and an Oceanic Veo 2.0 that we use regularly. We carry 1 for use and another for back-up if a problem.

Your software does the Uwatec computer wonderfully; theirs does not. Theirs does the Genesis/Oceanic (Sherwood/Pelagic/etc) beautifully; yours doesn't. I am looking for one that does both and plan on migrating to the one that does both first. Are there any plans to increase your base of computers AND is there anyway I could help expedite that process? Thanks!

support

Re: How about support for a couple of other computers

Post by support » Wed May 15, 2013 12:28 pm

Yes, we will be continuing to add support for the most popular dive computers such as Oceanic. But we will always be "behind the curve" in comparison to MacDive and probably not as complete either.

One of the joys of selling an application in the Mac App Store is that it can not use or depend on 3rd party kernel device drivers. The open source libdivecomputer software which we and others use to download various dive computers has a dependence on 3rd party kernel device drivers. (For the actual "physical" communication portion with the dive computers). So while the other desktop applications can depend on these 3rd parties for this functionality, we can not and must also implement and test this additional software. For the other desktop applications, the user must also install this additional software if it is not supplied by the OS, where as we must follow the mantra of "download this and it just works". This means that we'll almost always be behind as it's more work with the additional testing needed, but it also means that we have the flexibility to add the weird and different stuff too :-)

And YES, you could expedite that process. If you want to send us your Oceanic dive computer and download cable, we can use it to implement and test the additional software needed. First, I would need to know more about the cable that Oceanic uses to download with to make sure that we have the technical information available to write the software in the first place. If I remember correctly, when I looked it up in the past this was true but it would be good to double check. Also, I just looked it up and it looks like a Genesis React Pro is identical to an Oceanic Veo so that's like a two-fer I guess :-)

Please contact us if you want to pursue Oceanic download support.

Cheers,
Janice

nomibucha100

Re: How about support for a couple of other computers

Post by nomibucha100 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:54 am

i really like this sharing an get very much information from it