Feature Req: Signatures

Feature Req: Signatures

Postby Phil » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:54 pm

I'd like to be able to use a photo, or take a photo of a signature and append that to my log book as signing on a smartphone is rediculously awkward!

Also, if you could copy/paste signatures into other dives.
Phil

Re: Feature Req: Signatures

Postby support » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:16 am

Hi Phil,

Thanks for your input on the signature feature. We have specifically (so far) chosen to not allow the copying of the signature field. We didn't want to make a system where people could assign a signature to a dive without the owner of the signature being aware of the fact (so you can't have someone claim more dives than they really have done and associate your signature as "proof" of those dives without your knowledge). One can certainly make an argument that having an easy way to only sign once would be a nice convenience ... sometimes it is hard to meet competing goals.

Right now, you might try using the "Buddy" photo feature to take a photo of a dive center stamp or a buddy's signature. This will only work with Buddies that you store as Contacts. We do plan to add more general photo support for each dive where you could capture a Buddy's signature as one of those photos. The actual signature field is stored as a vector drawing and not an image so it is not practical to use that field for a photo of the signature.

You are certainly not the first person to comment on the limitations of signing on the iPhone and we will continue to work on solutions to meet the many goals that different divers have. One other trick that we've found works quite well is to pick up on of the "pens" designed to draw on touch devices (they usually market them in conjunction with iPads). They are less than $20 (often less than $10) in most cases and make signing much easier.

Thanks again for the input. It is very much appreciated.

Cheers,

Greg
support

Postby Phil » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:11 am

I'll have a look into one, are they fairly generic items? For instance I know some gaming devices, and samsung phones use them. I think my brother or father even has an old PDA with them.

Anyway, regarding falsifying documents. I thought this may be the case, but honestly if someone wanted to forge a signature or falsify a log. It wouldn't be hard at all. One could make the argument that with the iPhones terribly ability to produce accurate signatures, the validity of someones signature is a moot point anyway. For example, as I think I mentioned in my OP. My girlfriends signature looks like my 3 year old nephew trying to write his name. Actually, I think his handwriting is better :lol:

You do raise an interesting point though. I am in the process of getting my divemaster, and when people have asked for signatures I have said that "i'm doing mine online" or on computer. I hope that at the end of the day when my logbook gets checked via this software, they don't turn around and ask me where my signatures are O_O
Phil

Postby support » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:20 am

Hi Phil,

Yes, the pens are very generic. They are specifically for touch screen devices (so different from the older Palm type stylus). They just have a slightly fat rubber like tip that will look to the iPhone's touch screen like a finger tip. They definitely improve the ability of one to accurately write signatures. They are also very nice to use in conjunction with drawing programs.

You are right that forgeries are always possible (and not that hard to do with a little direct SQL manipulation in Dive Log), but as the old saying goes "locks only keep honest people out". So the idea is to not make it so easy to generate fake signatures that the default is to not trust them as valid.

Regarding the Dive Master requirement for logging dives, the requirements differ by training agency but in general, there is no need to actually produce your logbook as proof unless their is an issue (I am an instructor with multiple agencies). As with signatures on checks (cheques) or credit card receipts, the main purpose is to indicate that a given person was given the opportunity to "make their mark" on the document. I don't think you have anything to worry about with respect to having your logbook consider authentic. If PayPal and Square can process credit cards by having someone sign on an iPhone with their finger I feel fairly confident that you logbook will not be questioned.

I will continue to try to improve this feature of Dive Log and certainly appreciate your input regarding your experience. Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts.

Cheers,

Greg
support

Postby Phil » Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:08 pm

Thanks Greg, looking forward to see how this already amazing app evolves :)

I borrowed a friends pc tablet (usb device for drawing) and unfortunately that didn't work on my phone. I'll have to source one out from elsewhere.
Phil

Postby support » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:41 am

Thanks Phil.

You just need a simple stylus with a special tip to work with the iPad/iPhone. Here is a Targus Stylus sourced from Best Buy that would work. Anything similar to this will work great. I've seen them for as little as US$5. This one is US$15 and I have had good success with it.

I hope that helps.

Greg
support

Postby Martin » Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:04 am

I tried several pens for the signature in dive log and bought the most expensive one, the adonit jot touch 4.
While the pen is indeed pretty awesome for painting, signing the logbook still is no fun at all.
The reason is the resolution of the finger/pen entry. Lines are edged and pixilated instead of smooth and curved.
This makes it difficult to write.
On the iPhone, the signature gets stretched after entry which looks ugly.
It would be nice to improve this feature.
Thanks!
Martin

Postby support » Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:53 am

Thank you for your thoughts, we will look to see if we can do something to improve quality of the signature input/rendering in the future. You are right that the resolution of the stored signature is quite low. The signatures are stored as compressed vectors to save space in the logbook database and this can lead to a relatively blocking rendering of the signature.

We appreciate learning about what is important to users so that we can prioritize our development efforts, so again, thanks for sharing your thoughts on this feature.

Cheers,

Greg
support

Postby Phil » Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:25 pm

woohooo, it might have taken awhile but you guys did it :)

thanks for keeping the updates coming!!

same functions going to the osx version I hope?
Phil

Return to Dive Log