Some Requests

Discussion of the iOS App Dive Log
Post Reply
F_diver
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:27 am

Some Requests

Post by F_diver » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:41 am

Hi,

I use DiveLog on an iPad and the DiveLog DT sw on a MAC. I want to manage the LogBook from me and my son. This has lead to following thoughts:

1. Warning when sync LogBooks with different User names.
I entered 34 dives in my Logbook on the iPad, than I did a 2way sync with the desktop but I accidentally had the logbook of my son open. So booth logbooks where merged an my logbook no longer usable. A warning would be nice, when the user names do not match.

2. A separate database for the dive locations would be good.
I have to create each dive site 2x for each logbook. I have not found a way to copy the dive sites from one logbook to another.

This Feature could then later be developed to an online dive site repository, that could be available to and filled by all users. I wonder how many users already created an entry for the blue hole ?

3. When importing dives from other logbooks in the DiveLog DT, the GPS coordinates of the location will be lost. The Location is imported correctly, but without the GPS.


I like the sw and hope I can contribute to the further development. Because of your sw I dropped the paper logbook and switched to the iPad logbook.

support
Posts: 701
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:35 pm

Re: Some Requests

Post by support » Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:56 pm

Hello F_diver,
F_diver wrote:1. Warning when sync LogBooks with different User names.
I entered 34 dives in my Logbook on the iPad, than I did a 2way sync with the desktop but I accidentally had the logbook of my son open. So booth logbooks where merged an my logbook no longer usable. A warning would be nice, when the user names do not match.
You're absolutely right. We have recently added some information into the logbook to uniquely identify it. One reason for this was so that when you did the 2 way sync, you didn't do this accidentally. We haven't yet added this feature to Dive Log Manager, but apparently we'd better do it soon!

One thing we have always done though is take a backup before doing a sync of any kind with an iOS device. So your original logbook, as it was before the sync, is available in the same folder as your logbook, but the file name has a time stamp added to it. So you can simply open one of your backups (File->Open), find the one you want, and then using Finder, rename that file to be your "true" logbook or just make a copy of it (Duplicate) and rename the copy to be your "true" logbook. We are always concerned about data loss and do our utmost to make sure that all the time and energy we all put into recording that information, never get's lost. The newest version of Dive Log Manager now also has a "Backup" menu item in the File menu that you can use to create your own backup before doing something you're not sure of. Again, it just takes the name of your logbook and add's a "time stamp" to the end of the name of the file as a default name to use.

In addition, Dive Log on iOS saves the logbook that was in place before any sync took place as a backup. So you can always go back to the previous version of the logbook by going to the "Sync" page, and touching the "Restore Previous Logbook" button.

So hopefully between the 2 backups available to you, you should be able to restore to where you were before the sync between yours and your sons logbooks. We'll work on adding a check before the sync happens.
F_diver wrote:2. A separate database for the dive locations would be good.
I have to create each dive site 2x for each logbook. I have not found a way to copy the dive sites from one logbook to another.
I can see how this would be nice, but everything is contained in the one database so it would be quite difficult. One thing you can do, and believe me, it's a bit of a kludge, would be to use Dive Log DT to "Import" from another Dive Log database. So only one of you entered the Site information and then logged the dives for it. The you could make sure the "Link imported Dive Sites/Cities/Countries" checkbox was set on the "Import" panel, and then you could import the relevant dives into the 2nd logbook. At this point, all the new Site/City/Country entries would also be added in. Then you could either edit or simply delete the newly added dives, but the Site/City/Country entries would stay and be used.
F_diver wrote:This Feature could then later be developed to an online dive site repository, that could be available to and filled by all users. I wonder how many users already created an entry for the blue hole ?
I agree. We keep hoping that someone else will do this and I think there will be some entries soon. We have not found a website that is truly worldwide. It's not something that we have the cycles to do ourselves though.
F_diver wrote:3. When importing dives from other logbooks in the DiveLog DT, the GPS coordinates of the location will be lost. The Location is imported correctly, but without the GPS.
What kind of logbook are you importing from? We do import GPS locations from MacDive .....

Let us know if you have any other questions! Good Luck,
Cheers,
Janice
More Mobile Software

F_diver
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:27 am

Re: Some Requests

Post by F_diver » Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:35 pm

Dear Janice,

thanks for the reply.
I was able to salvage some of my locations, but basically just the name of the location.

I fit the following steps as a test:

- I created my logbook and filled it with all informations
- then I created an empty logbook for my son
- In Dive Log DT I went to the Import section in the tree an clicked "Dive Log"
- I selected my filled sql file
- I selected a all the dives and clicked import

-> it imported all dives into the empty log but the following informations were missing:
-> all equipment was missing
-> the dive type settings were missing for each dive
-> all the gps coordinates of the locations were missing
-> all the pictures of the locations were missing

the rest, like buddies and comments were transferred accordingly.

And as a minor Bug, the Statistic for Buddies does not work in the DiveLog DT.

I hope this helps to reproduce the bug.

cheers
Frank

support
Posts: 701
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:35 pm

Re: Some Requests

Post by support » Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:55 pm

Hi F_Diver!

Hopefully you were also able to find your logbook in the Backups ......
F_diver wrote:-> it imported all dives into the empty log but the following informations were missing:
-> all equipment was missing
-> the dive type settings were missing for each dive
-> all the gps coordinates of the locations were missing
-> all the pictures of the locations were missing
We don't (yet) support importing equipment or dive types. But we were *supposed* to support importing all the information about Dive Locations ... Except that you're right, there is a bug and we didn't import the GPS or photo information :-( So sorry to mislead you.

(Now) Fixed in the next release.
F_diver wrote:And as a minor Bug, the Statistic for Buddies does not work in the DiveLog DT.
Can you tell me a bit more about what you're doing? This "should be" working. I don't suppose your original logbook came from the PC and Diving Log did it?

If you go to the "Details" tab for a particular dive, you should see a check box next to the Buddies that were on that dive with you. If there are any checked, they should show up in the Statistics. If you Click the Statistics panel and then the Buddies button, do any Buddies have a number next to them?

Cheers,
Janice

Post Reply