But there isn't any WiFi on the Boat ...

support

But there isn't any WiFi on the Boat ...

Post by support » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:09 pm

If you're a scuba diver, chances are you have done a dive trip to a remote area of the world that doesn't have internet at the ready. Chances are you have spent time in an area that doesn't even have cell phone coverage. For many, that's the whole point.

As you know, Dive Log sync's to each of the desktop applications via WiFi. If you are currently connected to a WiFi network on your iOS device, the "Enable Sync" button under Dive Log becomes active. But if you're not connected to a WiFi network, the button is not even available. So how do you sync your logbook to your laptop?

Well first of all, you don't have to if you don't want to. You can use your iOS device to log all your dives while you are away. Take photos and GPS locations of each of the sites, take notes about the dive and get buddy information, keep track of most dive details including what equipment you used on each dive etc. Then when you return home, you can download your dive computer to your desktop, and then *merge* that information into what you already recorded while you were away. Dive Log is designed so that you don't have to have a network or a desktop computer with you on the trip.

But we know that some people *like* to keep track of their diving along the way. And we know that many dive computers do not have enough memory in them to be able to keep an entire trip worth of data on them without getting over written. So we take our laptops with us on dive trips.

But if there isn't any WiFi, how can we sync up our log and merge in our dive computer information? Or sometimes, the WiFi offered at the hotel is not exactly "robust" and you can't actually get a connection between your iOS device and the laptop. What then?

The answer is called a "computer to computer network" or also an "ad-hoc" network. In simple terms, we turn our laptop into a WiFi connection and then have our iOS device connect directly to it via it's WiFi interface. This works both for PC's and for Mac's. Here are links to articles from Apple and Microsoft on how to set this up on your laptop. It's very simple and takes just a minute.

MacOS Lion:
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=Mac/10.7/en/mchlp1200.html

Windows 7:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Set-up-a-computer-to-computer-ad-hoc-network

(If you're running a different version of the OS, there are similar articles on the respective websites, but you can also probably get the idea.)

Now, when you connect your iOS device to the WiFi network you just created, the "Enable Sync" button will be available and you can connect and sync and merge as usual.

Cheers,
More Mobile Software

pucenavel

Re: But there isn't any WiFi on the Boat ...

Post by pucenavel » Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:40 pm

I did all the steps required to make Ad Hoc network on Mountain Lion, but I still don't get the Enable Sync button. I think the reason is because the wifi isn't connected to the internet. Have the requirements to do this changed recently?

pucenavel

Post by pucenavel » Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:38 pm

Never mind. I figured it out. I had a missing dive log file - it wasn't syncing because my dive log was missing entirely.

support

Post by support » Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:39 am

Excellent. Feel free to email us if you have any questions about the AdHoc network setup. And as you guessed, there is no requirement to be connected to the internet.
Thanks,
Janice