A few suggestions

Discussion of the iOS App Dive Log
AndreBrasil

A few suggestions

Post by AndreBrasil » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:13 am

Hi there,

I'm a new user and I'm enjoying your software very much. It's nice to log my dives, add locations, control equipment and everything else the software allows me to do. But, of course, there are some resources I would like to see on new versions:

1. iPad / iPhone direct sync - I know that some people have already asked for that, but I would like to put my name on the list of users that would benefit from it. Usually, I take my iPhone with me when I dive. On the spot, I enter the info on Dive Log and ask the divemaster to sign the entry. It would be ok to sync with my Mac, but I don't own an interface for my dive computer, making it possible to just skip this step. Either dropbox or iCloud are great options for that, already mentioned somewhere else, but there's a simple alternative: on iStudiez, we can "backup" the database and send it by e-mail. Then, you can restore the database either on iPad or iPhone.

2. Photos on dives - I would love to be able to add photos to each dive. I try to keep track of dives x photos using other software, but it would be great to just add them to the logbook.

3. Photos on dives 2 - Another use for photos on dives is the ability to integrate the old logbook with the digital one. The idea is that we can transcribe the contents of the dives to it, but, most of the time, we may not be able to colect the divemaster signatures again. A good solution is to scan (or take a picture of) the whole logbook page associated to the dive, and insert it on Dive Log.

4. More photos on dive sites - It's nice to be able to choose a photo to represent a dive site but, most of the time, one is not enough. For example, when researching a new site, we come across many photos: maps of the site, points of interest already registered, and so on. In the case of wrecks, for example, it's also nice to add photos of the ship before and after it sank, as well as points of entrance, of the surface, and so on.

5. Dive tables - Well, I read somewhere in the forum that it would not be possible to add dive tables because of copyright limitations. I suggest two solutions: one is to add the ability to just scan or take pictures of our own dive tables. Another solution, and a better one, is to let us fill a blank table with our data (Dive Control, for PC, does that).

6. Nitrox - I believe it would be very simple to integrate the Nitrox tools to Dive Log.

7. Ability to edit and delete dive fields - I would love to see Dive Log in Portuguese (I'm from Brazil), but, for now, it would be great to have the ability to edit all fields. For some of them we can add options, such as weather, surface and some others, but we can't delete them (when I add 'sem ondas', I would like to delete the same info in English 'no waves'). Some other fields cannot be changed: Visibility, Entry and Water.

Well, I thought I would ask you guys for just a couple of things, but the ideas kept comming. I would love to see some of them come to life, but, once again, great software.

Thanks,

André Brasil

support

Re: A few suggestions

Post by support » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:49 am

Hi André,

Thanks you for your kind words about Dive Log and for your thought full suggestions. We really appreciate getting suggestions from users as it makes it much easier to prioritize our development efforts when we know what is important to users.

We are working on supporting direct iOS to iOS device syncing. The development is coming along nicely but we are being fairly cautious with this feature (it is critical that it be bug free as we don't want anyone to experience data loss), Hopefully we'll have more new on this feature soon.

Adding picture support for individual dives is on the "to do" list as well. I don't have a time frame for when this will be available yet, but the database support is already in place. We just need to add the user interface and deal with the sync'ing issues associated with the image data (we don't want the images included in the database itself as they would make it far too large).

Nitrox Tools will likely remain a separate application. This is in keeping with the iOS design guidelines of having applications that are narrowly focused. I consider Nitrox Tools more of a dive planning application and Dive Log as a post dive data capture application. That said, we are always listening to suggestions and appreciate you input.

I can certainly understand your desire for editing the options in some of the lists that can not currently be edited. Unfortunately for some lists (the ones that appear in rotary pickers) the entries can only be changed by virtue of adding a localize to Dive Log. The good news is that if/when we add a Portuguese localization to Dive Log these fields will automatically pick up the new change when you view the dive. The other fields (that appear in lists) are generally made up of values used elsewhere in your logbook, however there are a few "fixed" values that are always shown. I will look at adding an option to not display these "fixed" values so that you will only see the values that you add.

Thanks again for your feedback.

Cheers,

Greg

Greg McLaughlin
More Mobile Software

Swanagediver

Post by Swanagediver » Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:03 pm

+1 for the pictures requests. I would love to see dive log become more visually orientated

But the sync with macdive software should be flawless, also for the pictures.

Nugget

Post by Nugget » Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:33 pm

AndreBrasil wrote:1. iPad / iPhone direct sync - I know that some people have already asked for that, but I would like to put my name on the list of users that would benefit from it. Usually, I take my iPhone with me when I dive. On the spot, I enter the info on Dive Log and ask the divemaster to sign the entry. It would be ok to sync with my Mac, but I don't own an interface for my dive computer, making it possible to just skip this step. Either dropbox or iCloud are great options for that...
+1 Yes, either via iCloud or Dropbox (I would prefer Dropbox) this would be fantastic.