Search function

Discussion of the iOS App Dive Log
cpraneri

Search function

Post by cpraneri » Wed May 27, 2020 5:33 am

I’m new to DiveLog and am considering it. Is there a search tool to search key words in the notes section of various dives? If not, is there any plan for this in future?

support

Re: Search function

Post by support » Wed May 27, 2020 8:38 am

Hi,

No, right now there is no general search feature that will look at the notes/comments section of Dive. This is something that we plan to add, but do not have in the product right now (I don't have a specific time frame to share at this time). You can look up dives via various criteria (location, buddy, equipment, depth, date, supply type, trips, operators/shops, marine life and by year or month). We do also allow you to search the comments section of Marine Life while adding Marine Life items to a dive.

Dive Log also supports synchronizing with desktop applications on Mac (DiveLogManager - free and DiveLogDT - paid) and Windows (Diving Log 6.0 - paid). These desktop applications all currently support search that includes the notes/comments field of a dive (note that on Mac you add a "+" to the search term to do an extended search that includes additional fields like notes/comments otherwise the search is limited to a subset of the available fields).

I hope that helps address your question. Please don't hesitate if you have additional questions.

Cheers,

Greg

cpraneri

Post by cpraneri » Wed May 27, 2020 1:55 pm

Thank you Greg. A great product you have. I decided to purchase. A friend told me get familiar with the ipad/iphone process, then add in the desktop version for my iMac. Is this what you’d recommend?

support

Post by support » Wed May 27, 2020 6:41 pm

Thanks. I'm glad that it looks like Dive Log might work for you!

Sure, that approach will work. The iPhone/iPad app and the Mac app will sync with each other so you can use which ever platform that makes the most sense for what you are doing at the time. The iPhone/iPad is likely more convenient to have with you at the dive site in many cases so that is a great way to enter dive data at the time of your dive (and you can use the GPS to capture the site's coordinates or get a buddies signature). You may find that typing long comments is more convenient on the Mac so you can sync your log when you get home and update the entries on the Mac. As I mentioned in my previous post, there are some things that are supported in the Mac that are not available on the iPhone/iPad (for example there are a number of dive computers that you can download on the Mac that are not possible to download on the iPhone due to physical and programatic limitations of the iPhone's connector). We find that many users move between the platforms based on the situation. Rest assured that all your data entered on the iPhone/iPad will be available when you ultimately sync to your Mac so you can always make that decision at any point along the way.

Cheers,

Greg

cpraneri

Post by cpraneri » Sun May 31, 2020 3:42 am

As always, you are very thorough in your answers. Thank you.

cpraneri

Post by cpraneri » Tue Nov 10, 2020 5:30 am

Hi Greg, Since my orig posted question about searching comments, I am wondering if there has been any add’l planning for this feature?

support

Post by support » Tue Nov 10, 2020 12:04 pm

Hi Chris,

I don't have an update on this feature to report at this time. It is still "on the list". I will confess to having been consumed lately by the iOS 14, macOS Big Sur and Apple Silicon transitions so new features have been a bit slow to materialize. That said, thank you for reminding me of your interest in this feature. It always good to know how important any given feature is to the community.

Cheers,

Greg

cpraneri

Post by cpraneri » Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:03 pm

Well, Greg, I’ll give a real feather...being able to average the SAC across both my SM cylinders? That’s gold. And my perdix can’t even do that!