iOS Sync

iOS Sync

Postby timlong0401 » Sat Jul 27, 2019 2:51 am

I have pent days on this now and totally failed. My Mac log is all up to date and synced/copied to the iCloud. Hard as I tried I could not get the iOS version to sync, it was obstinately keeping a one year old version of the log in spite of my deleting every thin on the cloud and on my computer and reloading everything from back up. I eventually tried deleting the log on iOS iCloud Synchronisation, I deleted and reinstalled the Ap, I deleted the single Hawaiian dive, nothing I do will get the iOS version to sync. I could just forget about it, but one day I might get a blue tooth sync dive computer at which point it might be useful. Please tell me how to get my iCloud saved synced version of the log onto my iOS devices - nice simple steps please.

Under iOS iCloud Synchronisation, I currently have:
MATCHING LOGBOOKS AVAILABLE FOR SYNCHRONIZATION - Unknown Name 27 Jul 2019 at 16:03:45.
LOGBOOKS TO IMPORT/RESTORE Unknown Name 27 Jul 2019 at 16:03:45.
My actual iCloud dive log is called "Logbook 1182 on.sql", and was last modified today at 15:58, when I clicked on Add/Replace Logbook TO Cloud.
timlong0401

Re: iOS Sync

Postby support » Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:55 am

Hi,

Sorry for the confusion that the naming has caused on the synchronization for you. You'll notice hat the option you are trying to us on the iPhone is called "iOS iCloud Synchronization". This is meant to imply that it only support synchronization between iOS devices (not Mac or PC devices) and this is a limitation that is caused by the Apple iCloud system's security measures. This option predates the availability of "iCloud Drive" (which is what you are using from your Mac) and is still available for users that have been using t historically (it also has some advantages in simplicity for users that are only trying to sync between iOS devices).

Since you are starting with no logbook on your iPhone and you want to get the initial logbook from your Mac transferred from iCloud Drive the first step you want it yo pick the "Import" item (further down the Synchronization screen) and then tap on "Import Dive Log logbook". You'll be shown a file picker where you can navigate to the file that you uploaded from your Mac into iCloud Drive (you can also use other cloud services like Dropbox using this method) and replace your existing logbook on your iPhone (the sample logbook in your case). Just locate your "Logbook 1182 on.sql" in the file picker and tap on that and Dive Log will retrieve the file from iCloud Drive and make it your active logbook on your iPhone.

You ill now have the same logbook on your iPhone and your Mac. From this point forward you will use the item on the Synchronization screen titled "Synchronize Dive Log Logbook". Then you'll tap on the item titled "Synchronize Dive Log logbook" and you'll be shown a file picker where you can navigate to the file in iCloud Drive that you are using to synchronize between your Mac and iPhone. In your case, just locate your "Logbook 1182 on.sql" in the file picker and tap on that. Dive Log will then proceed to synchronize any changed made locally with any changes in the iCloud Drive file and when it is done it will update the file in iCloud with all the changes. You can then move back to your Mac and use the "Two-way Synchronization" option to achieve the same thing on your Mac. You can just keep using these two option to keep your two devices in sync.

You just need to to the "Import" operation that first time so that you logbook on both devices have the same starting point (there is some accounting information in the logbook that helps ensure successful synchronization of individual records in the logbook). After that, you just use the appropriate synchronization option in each platform.

I hope that helps. Again, I apologize for the confusion that the two different methods caused you. We were between a bit of a rock and hard place due to Apple's history wit different API for working with iCloud. In the end we need to support both methods. Unfortunately Apple tried to paper over the difference between the two systems by given them the same name and this does make it hard to clear differentiate the two mechanisms. Apple solved this problem in their own apps (Pages and Numbers for example) by not being backwards compatible and forcing users to upgrade to a new version of iOS but we have tried to keep older devices relevant (we still run on iOS 8 for example) but this does have some costs in simplicity of user interface.

Please let me know if you need any further assistance. Email might be a better venue so please feel free to use our support email address (support 'at' moremobilesoftware 'dot' com) for any more specific questions that you might have (the forums are fine too of course).

Cheers,

Greg
support

Postby timlong0401 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:16 pm

Greg,
thank you very much all sorted and working perfectly,
Tim
timlong0401

Postby aoyan » Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:00 am

Not sure If I'm right here.
I purchased Dive Log for Mac and so far (nearly) everything is well. Now I'd like to sync it with my iPad and/or iPhone. But as far as I understood, I have to purchase the app also!? Isn't it possible to use the program with all devices once I did purchase it?
aoyan

Postby support » Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:32 am

Hi aoyan,

There is no application called "Dive Log" for Mac. We have either DiveLogDT (paid) or DiveLogManager (free) for the Mac. On iOS we offer Dive Log.

iOS and macOS are different platforms and require separate applications due to the differences in the platform's API's and Apple licensing schemes. There is no way to "cross license" an iOS app distributed on the iOS App Store and a Mac application distributed on the Mac App Store right now in Apple's ecosystem. Since many users of our iOS app Dive Log use PC's as their desktop application and many users of our Mac applications use Android devices as their mobile devices we price Dive Log and DiveLogDT independently to have in make sense in all cases (we don't make the PC or Android app but there is a compatible app available on both platforms from another developer).

Once you have purchased Dive Log you can run it on all your iOS devices (iPhone, iPad and iPod touch) and Dive Log also participates in the Apple "Family Purchase" program so you can (if you participate) run it on family member's iOS devices as well all with a single purchase. Similarly, you can install DiveLogDT on all your Mac devices with a single purchase.

I hope that helps clear up any confusion. Please let em know if you need any additional information.

Cheers,

Greg
support

Postby aoyan » Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:42 pm

Thank You Greg for the kind reply.
Now I begin to understand ;-)
I have to purchase Dive Log for my IOS devices. If I do this, can I import my logbook from DiveLogDT?
The goal is to be able to use the logbook on the Mac and the IOS devices forth and back
thanks again in advance
aoyan
aoyan

Postby support » Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:10 am

Hi aoyan,

Yes, that is correct. You can synchronize your logbook between Dive Log on iOS and DiveLogDT using either Wi-Fi or any number of cloud services. The first step is to upload your DiveLogDT logbook into Dive Log on your iPhone and then you can proceed to make changes on either device and synchronize those changes (DiveLogDT and Dive Log will take care of making sure that the most recently changed records end up in the resulting logbook ... one note, the synchronization is record based so you don't want to change the same record (for example a dive) on both platforms between syncs as the latest change to that record will be the "winner" in the sync).

To use the Wi-Fi synchronization you need to be on the same Wi-Fi network with both your Mac and iPhone (make sure you are not using the "guest" network side of your router as this feature of your router will block traffic between devices on the same network) and the visit the Synchronization tab in Dive Log on iPhone and tap the Wi-Fi Synchronization option and then the "Enable Sync" button. The name of your iPhone should show up in the sidebar of DiveLogDT under SYNCHRONIZATION. Click on that and then click on the "Copy Logbook TO Device". Once the transfer is complete you'll tap the "Use new Logbook" button on your iPhone to load the just transfer logbook. From that point forward you'll use the same steps except you'll click the "Two-Way Sync" button in DiveLogDT instead of the "Copy Logbook TO Device" button as this will perform the sync and upload the result to Dive Log on iPhone when it is done (you'll still tap the "Use new Logbook" button to load the result on the iPhone).

You can also use a cloud service like iCloud Drive or Dropbox to perform the sync options. In this case you start by tapping on the "Cloud" item in the sidebar of DiveLogDT and then selecting the correct radio button (iCloud Drive, Dropbox, etc.) and the tapping the "Add/Replace Logbook to Cloud" button to get you initial logbook into the cloud service. Then on the iPhone visit the Synchronization tab and tap on the "Import" item and then the "Import Dive Log logbook" item. The you'll select the file that you uploaded on your Mac and it will be imported into Dive Log. From this point forward you can use the "Two-way Logbook Sync" button on the Mac or the "Synchronize Dive Log Logbook->Synchronize Dive Log logbook" item on the iPhone to synchronize each device with the "cloud" file (the cloud file works as an intermediary file so each device can sync with it when appropriate).

I hope that helps. Again, please don't hesitate if you have further questions.

Cheers,

Greg
support

Postby Mikel » Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:02 am

I'm a brand new user of both Dive Log for iOS and DiveLogDT for Mac. I've tried to follow the steps listed above. I am successful importing the Mac file to my phone, but then when I try to change and then sync something on the phone, I use "Synchronize Dive Log Logbook" and it's still giving me the same error that it can't and will use the original file. I am running iOS 13.0. By any chance, is this my problem? Any solutions.

Thank you.
Mikel

Postby support » Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:51 am

Hi,

I first wanted to confirm that things were working on iOS 13.0 as they should and I didn't have any problems taking the steps that I think you took (so I doubt iOS 13 is the issue).
Specifically this is what I did:

1) Create a new logbook in DiveLogDT and added some dives.
2) Used the SYNCHRONIZE -> Cloud option and picked "iCloud Drive" and then selected "Add/Replace Logbook TO Cloud" and selected a folder in iCloud Drive
3) Started Dive Log on iPhone and taped on Synchronize -> Import -> Import -> Import Dive Log logbook and navigated to the file that I saved in Step 2
4) Made some changes to the logbook on my iPhone (added a name to the Personal section and added a Dive Site, City and Country to a dive)
5) Tapped on the Synchronize -> Synchronize Dive Log Logbook -> Synchronize Dive Log logbook and selected the file that I saved in Step 2
- I believe this is where you got the message about the sync failing, but if not please let me know
6) I then returned to DiveLogDT and clicked on SYNCHRONIZE -> Cloud and selected "Two-Way Logbook Sync" to verify that the changes migrated from the iPhone

If that matches the series of steps that you followed things should have worked the same. If you took a different series of steps it would be helpful if you could detail those steps to me. It would be particularly helpful to know if you used a different cloud service (Dropbox, Google Drive, OneDrive, Box) and exactly what message you saw. Also, it can take some time for files to migrate between your devices depending on network speed and the status of Apple's (or the other providers) servers. That should not have affected the message that I think you saw though, it just might mean that you would not see any changes to the logbook after a sync.

Finally it would be particularly helpful if you could take a screen shot of your iPhone screen when you get the popup about the sync not working (https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT200289). Please feel free to send the screenshot to our support email address (support 'at' moremobilesoftware 'dot' com) as that is easier than trying to use the forums.

Thanks for your patience.

Cheers,
Greg
support

Postby Mikel » Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:34 pm

Greg,

Thank you very much for your reply. My error seems to be that I was using Finder to place the log into iCloud, and not "Add/Replace Logbook TO Cloud". Once I saved the original in Documents and then used "Add/Replace Logbook TO Cloud" to place it in the root iCloud folder, then the iPhone was able to Import and synchronize after.

Mikel
Mikel

Next

Return to Dive Log