Future modification request

Discussion of the iOS App Dive Log
KMil

Future modification request

Post by KMil » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:05 am

I have a handful of modification requests i'd like to see done in a future release as time permits.
1. Add an equipment "type" field that can be set for each piece such as mask, bcd, regultor, etc.
2. Make Cities / Islands a child of Countries / Regions and Dive sites a child of Cities / Islands
3. Add the ability to print log sheets. A competing product allows this via AirPrint.
4. Allow direct (without a PC) syncronization of an iPad and iPhone
5. Allow tag on a dive to be altered to say Dive Master or Instructor
6. On iPad allow signature and dive master name to be displayed at the same time.
7. Viewable dive tables

You have a great product and unfortunately I made the mistake of buying a more expensive competing product first. Hopefully some of these recommendations will make future releases. Thanks for the great application.

support

Re: Future modification request

Post by support » Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:30 am

Hi,

Thank you very much for your thoughtful suggestions for improving Dive Log. Some of your requests are already in the works and other are already on the "to do" list so hopefully you'll see most of them eventually. I'll make a point of adding the ones that are not currently on our "to do" list to the list.

Just couple of quick comments.

Regarding item #2, there is already a feature in Dive Log that keeps track of which City you most recently used with a Dive Site and which Country you most recently used with a City. So, as you enter new items, the City and the Country will often be automatically filled in based on your last use of that Dive Site and/or City. The flexibility to treat them separately was intentional. For example, years ago I dove off the "Sun Dancer II" in Palau. Years later, the "Sun Dancer II" was moved to Belize and I again dove from her. In this cases, I wanted the same "City/Island/Livaboard" of "Sun Dancer II" but I wanted it associated with a different Country. This way I can look up all the times that I dove off the Sun Dancer II regardless of where she was located at the time (there are other examples too, specially in the rapidly evolving geo-political landscape of today's world). That said, we have been planning to add a feature that allows you to view a hierarchy of Countries->Cities->Dive Sites based on the records in your dives, so I believe that we'll be able to meet both the original goal and your desired model as well.

Regarding item #7. This is a feature that we have explicitly decided not to include in Dive Log. There are a number of reasons for this, but the key reasons are that most existing dive tables are subject to copyright and there is a significant liability concern associated with supplying life-support information. Given the wide variety of tables in use today and the significant investment that the dive training agencies have put into table development and liability protection we feel that it is better to have users use the tables supplied by their training agency.

Again, thank you for taking the time to share your feature requests. It really helps us to prioritize our development efforts when we know what is important to users in the field.

Cheers,

Greg

KMil

Post by KMil » Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:20 am

Greg,

Thank you for your quick response. I certainly understand where you are coming from on items 2 and 7. It sounds like you have a good solution to address both sides for #2. Thank you for all of your hard work.

joebar66

Post by joebar66 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:08 am

Hi Greg

Nice answers, but how about no. 4? ;-)

Is there any chance to use the "IPad Camera Connection Kit" ore something similar to connect with the dive computer and download the dives?

Best regards
Andi

support

Post by support » Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:51 pm

Hi Andi,

I think #4 was actually asking about direct syncing of logbooks between two iOS devices (which is currently under development leveraging iCloud in iOS5) rather than importing dive computers. However, your question is a good one too.

It is not technically possible to use the iPad camera connection kit to directly import dive computers to an iPad due the limited access that Apple provides developers to the level of software that would be required to interact with the Camera Connection Kit. Apple specifically prohibits developers from using programming interfaces that are not publicly available via the SDK for iOS and will reject any applications from the App Store that attempt to use these interfaces.

In order to support direct dive computer importing, one would need to have a custom cable that is specifically approved by Apple (there are licensing requirements to connect a cable to the Dock connector of the iPad or to use custom Bluetooth data that can communicate with an App sold through the App Store). These licensing requirements currently make is cost prohibitive to development a cable as one would pretty much need a unique cable for each supported dive computer. The limited volume of each dive computer makes it impractical to amortize the development cost of each required cable.

We continue to look for practical solutions for direct dive computer import into the iPad/iPhone. Their have been some relatively recent changes in Apple's policies that do create some new possibilities, but we have not yet been able to come up with a way to take advantage of them. We'll certainly let everyone know if/when we come up with a solution.

Cheers,

Greg

joebar66

Post by joebar66 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:58 am

Hi Greg

Thanks for the answer. Even if it means that I still have to take the Laptop on my holydays ;)

Best regards and merry X-mas

Andi

support

Post by support » Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:14 pm

Hi Andi,

One things that you can do with Dive Log on iPhone/iPad and the various desktop applications that can sync directly with Dive Log on iPhone is take advantage of the "merge" option while syncing to allow you to travel with just your dive computer and your iPhone/iPad. This may not be a viable solution if your dive computer has limited memory or if your trip is very long (or if you are concerned about loosing the dive data in your dive computer for some other reason before you get home), but it might provide an interim solution.

The idea is that during your trip you log each of your dives in Dive Log on iPhone/iPad as you do them keeping track of things like the dive site (including GPS information), buddies, equipment used, etc.. Then when you get home you sync your iPhone/iPad with your desktop application and then sync your dive computer with your desktop. Your dive computer data is then "merged" with the corresponding dives from the iPhone/iPad and any profile, depth, time and tank data is added to the existing dive from the iPhone/iPad providing a complete record of that dive. Each of the desktop applications works just a little differently in terms of how you specify how the dives should line up, so let me know if you need specific details for your particular set up by sending email to our support email address (support "AT" moremobilesoftware "DOT" com -- replacing "AT" with @ and "DOT" with . and remove the spaces) with details of which desktop application and dive computer you are using.

Cheers,

Greg

joebar66

Post by joebar66 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:02 am

Hi Greg

I'm using Diving Log from Sven and I must say these two Programs works really god together. :P
Because of the limitation of my dive computer (Aladin Air Z O2; about 180 min profile memory) I have to download after every second dive. This is why I need the Laptop on the Holydays.

By the way, in Diving Log I can enter double tanks, but after syncing this information is lost and Dive Log shows a single tank with half of tho volume. I don't know if this is already fixed, because I tried this some months ago. It is not a big problem, I know that a 24 liter mono tank stands for a double twelve ;)

Best regards
Andi

support

Post by support » Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:45 am

Hi Andi,

Yes, I have the same problem with my Uwatec AirZ O2 computer so I understand your situation (although I use the Memo Mouse while on vacation which stores all the dive details if I download to it after every one or two dives until I get home and can sync with my desktop computer).

If you are using the latest version of Dive Log on iPhone (1.7 or later) you should see that double tanks are supported directly. The display on the dive details page will show an image of a double tank and show the capacity of each cylinder and the tank details page will show the tank capacity followed by "(x 2)". When you edit the tank size there is a switch to indicate if the tank is a double. This should all be consistent with the display in Diving Log 5.0. Note that in earlier versions of Dive Log on iPhone there was a convenience feature that would allow you to "double" your tank capacity to represent a double tank, but there was no database support for this switch. In the latest database update supported by both Diving Log 5.0 and Dive Log we added database support for this switch so it now stores the capacity that you enter (for a single cylinder typically) plus the setting of the "double" switch. Let me know if you are still finding that this does not work as expected via our support email address.

Cheers,

Greg