Can't switch between contents fields

Discussion of the iOS App Dive Log
wizbowes

Can't switch between contents fields

Post by wizbowes » Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:38 pm

Hi,

I use dive log on iPad2, syncing with my logbook on Diving Log 5.0.3. I have 2 log books, mine and my wifes. Since inputing the dives from my last trip I'm now unable to switch between items in the contents within my log. When I try to move the app closes. The only way to move from, say Locations to Dives, is to change to my wife's log book, change, and then switch back to my log book.

Any way to check what I've crapped up?

Cheers,

support

Re: Can't switch between contents fields

Post by support » Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:44 am

Hi,

I'm sorry that you are seeing this issue. Based on your description, I think you are encountering a rare bug that we have been trying to resolve for a while now. It (if it is in fact the same problem) appears to be an issue with the system map software on the iPad that Dive Log appears to trigger. The workaround that has been successful for a couple of other users that have encountered this problem is to reboot their iPad. Give the following steps a try and see if things are any better:

1) Close Dive Log (and any other apps) by pressing the "Home" button so you are at the main launch screen
2) Press and hold the "Sleep/Wake" button on the top of the iPad until the "Slide to Turn Off" control appears on the screen
3) Slide the control and wait for the iPad to shut down.
4) Press the "Sleep/Wake" button again and let the iPad restart (you'll see the Apple logo in the middle of the screen)
5) Try running Dive Log again and see if it works any better (one user reported that it crashed again the first time, but was good after that)

Please let me know if this procedure makes any difference for you. If it does not I'd like to ask you to send me the "crash log" files that are generated by your iPad so that I can see if the issues lies somewhere else. You can follow the directions in this link: How to find a crash Logs for iPhone/iPad. The actual crash file will have names that start with "DiveLog" and end with ".crash" (the middle part will be a time stamp) and send the most recent one (or a couple if you like) to us at "support" AT "moremobilesoftware" DOT "com" (replace the AT with @, the DOT with ., remove the quotes and run it all together).

Hopefully the above procedure will work and should keep you going for a while. We are releasing an update to Dive Log shortly (subject to the Apple review process) that I believe works around this problem. Since we have never been able to reproduce it it is hard to be sure, but Beta testers that previously had the issue have not seen it again with this update.

Again, my apologies for the difficulties. Hopefully this new release will be approved and available shortly and the issue will be resolved.

Cheers,

Greg

wizbowes

Post by wizbowes » Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:07 pm

Thanks Greg,

No dice with the reboot I'm afraid. I've sent you a couple of log files. Looking forward to the next release!

Cheers,

wizbowes

support

Post by support » Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:59 pm

Thanks to the gracious assistance of "wizbowes" and two other Dive Log users we've finally managed to sort out the conditions under which this crash occurs. We have submitted a Dive Log update to Apple for review (it will be version 1.6 when it is approved for release) that avoid the problem and in the mean time there are some steps you can take if you encounter this issue.

The problem occurs when the Map used to display the Dive Site flags can not determine the iPad's current location and you move to another view (like Dives or Equipment). The iPad may not be able to get it's location for a couple of reasons:

1) The global Location services setting in the Settings app is turned off.
2) The Dive Log specific Location option is turned off in the Location services section of the Settings app.
3) The iPad does not have a network connection (Wi-Fi or Cellular) or is in "Airplane" mode and does not have a recent location fix to fallback on.

You should be able to workaround the problem in the current version of Dive Log by making it possible for the iPad to determine a location fix. You can tell that the iPad has a location fix when you see the "blue" dot at your current location on the Map.

Once the updated version of Dive Log is available you should find that it does not crash even if the iPad's current location is not available.

We apologize for this issue and hope that this information keep you going until the new version of Dive Log is available.

Cheers,

Greg

support

Post by support » Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:43 pm

The update to Dive Log that solves this particular issue is now available on the App Store. You can get the new version through the normal App Store or iTunes update procedures.

Thanks for your patience and we are sorry about any inconvenience that this issue caused.

Cheers,

Greg