Sync Iphone and IPad

Discussion of the iOS App Dive Log
Oliver30

Sync Iphone and IPad

Post by Oliver30 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:10 am

Hello,
I have an IPhone and an IPad.

How can I sync both databases together ?

Oliver

support

Re: Sync Iphone and IPad

Post by support » Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:54 pm

Hi,

Right now, the only way to sync your Dive Log data on your iPhone and your iPad is via a desktop application on either your Mac or the PC. On the Mac you have the option of using Dive Log Manager (http://www.moremobilesoftware.com/Dive_Log_Manager.html) or MacDive (http://www.mac-dive.com). On the PC you'll want to use Diving Log 5.0 (http://www.divinglog.de). Basically, you'll want to connect your iPhone via Wi-Fi and sync your data to your desktop and then connect your iPad via Wi-Fi and sync the data you just downloaded onto your desktop up to your iPad.

On the Mac, Dive Log Manager is available as a free or licensed option (it is also available on the Mac App Store as either Dive Log Manager which is free or Dive Log DT which is paid) and either version will handle moving your data between the iPhone and the iPad. MacDive is a paid application but is also very useful if you want to import a dive computer into your log.

On the PC, Diving Log 5.0 is a free download with limited functionality and can be upgraded to the full version by purchasing a license. The free version is sufficient for moving data between your iPhone and your iPad. Simply tap the "Info" button on the Sync dialog once your iPhone and/or iPad has connected to reveal the "Backup" and "Restore" options which will let you copy your database from your iPhone and restore it to your iPad. Like with MacDive, you might find that you want to eventually purchase a license for Diving Log 5.0 as this will support importing your dive computer (the free version will do this for up to 10 dives but the licensed version is unlimited) and can also help with syncing changes made on both devices in the future.

I hope that helps. Please feel free to contact us directly via e-mail (support "at" moremobilesoftware "dot" com) or visit our website at www.moremobilesoftware.com/divelog-sync if you need additional on syncing with desktop applications. You might also find our FAQ & Tips page helpful if you have any difficulties configuring your system.

Cheers,

Greg

k l i k

Post by k l i k » Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:13 am

Please Please think about synchronization between iPhone and iPad directly. Sometimes on long trips or vacations can be interesting.

Tomorrow I travel dive for 1 month, I have to decide where to put my dives, iphone or iPad, sometimes will be better Iphone and another will be Ipad, I have no access to my computer until September. Sync between iPhone and Ipad would be good for everybody

Regards.

support

Post by support » Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:42 am

Thank you for the suggestion. This is definitely on the list of features that we plan to add to Dive Log. Unfortunately, it will not be available in time for your upcoming trip, but hopefully by the next time that you need it.

We really appreciate getting input from users about what features are most important to them as it really helps prioritize our development efforts.

Enjoy your trip.

Best Regards,

Greg

Greg McLaughlin
More Mobile Software
www.moremobilesoftware.com

Swanagediver

Post by Swanagediver » Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:04 am

it would be great to use dropbox for this. some other iphone/ipad apps use it as well, 1password for example
and in this way we'll always have a backup of our divinglog in dropbox.

support

Post by support » Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:07 pm

Indeed, Dropbox is one of the mechanisms that we hope to use to implement this feature. It provides a number of benefits as you point out. The one thing to remember with Dropbox (or any other internet based solution) is that you would have to have access to the internet for this to work so we are also looking at additional options for those diving out of the range of a cost effective internet connection.

Thank you for your thoughts on this, it is good to hear that Dropbox is a desired solution.

Cheers,

Greg

Robberson

Post by Robberson » Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:03 am

On the Mac, Dive Log Manager is available as a free or licensed option (it is also available on the Mac App Store as either Dive Log Manager which is free or Dive Log DT which is paid) and either version will handle moving your data between the iPhone and the iPad. MacDive is a paid application but is also very useful if you want to import a dive computer into your log.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ipad 2 casesipad 2 coversleather ipad2 case

taaptaap

Post by taaptaap » Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:06 am

Hi, I tried to sync my iPhone to Dive Log Manager 2.2.0 and it gave me ...
"Waiting for connection ...
IP Address: 192.168.1.2
Port: 51037
Internal Error - unable to connect to iPhone"

WHat happen? No matter what option i chose, it turned out that it wasnt able to connect to my iphone. What do I do? I wanna back up my dive log on my iPhone to my desktop. I use iOS X 10.6.8.

Please help. Thanks

support

Post by support » Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:48 pm

Hi,

This error is most likely caused by an issue with your network configuration. There are a number of situation that can arise where the iPhone and the Mac can exchange information about their addresses (through the router using Apple's Bonjour protocol) but when the time come to create a direct network interface between the iPhone and the Mac they can not reach each other. The reason this happens is that during the initial handshake using Bonjour, the iPhone and the Mac don't actually talk directly to each other, but rather exchange information with the router and the router passes that information along. However, once the actual data transfer has to start, if the Mac can not directly reach the iPhone at the IP address and Port number that it got from the router you will get a connection error like the one you are seeing. There are a number of things that you can double check.

The first is to make sure that you do not have a firewall on your Mac or your router that could be blocking traffic between the two devices. You can try turning off the firewall and retrying your connection. If that works, you'll need to configure your firewall appropriately to allow data to pass directly between your iPhone and Mac.

The second thing to check is that your iPhone is connected to the "right" network (or SSID in WiFi parlance). Many modern routers support a "guest mode" that allows you to have a visitor to your home access the internet via your router but keeps them from reaching computers on your local network. Apple's current AirPort Extremes and Time Capsules support this guest mode for example. The "Bonjour" part of the protocol works because everything can talk to the router, but the router blocks the direct connect between the Mac and the iPhone. You want to make sure that your iPhone is connecting to the "internal network" on your router and not the "guest network".

Every now and again, a router will get "confused" and cache the wrong information about how to reach a given device on the network (these are called routing tables). This seems to happen slightly more often with mobile devices (I guess because they connect and disconnect from the network so often). The simple thing to do is to restart your router by unplugging it from the wall for a few seconds and then plugging it back in and retrying your sync operation.

Finally, if none of the above makes any difference, try rebooting your iPhone (press and hold the sleep/wake button until you see the slider to shut down your iPhone and once it shuts down, press the sleep/wake button again to start it back up) and your Mac (Apple menu->Restart) and retrying to sync again.

If you are still having difficulties, please contact us directly at the email link on our support page and we can work through some specific things on your system.

Cheers,

Greg

cmejlbo

Post by cmejlbo » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:32 pm

any updates on when dropbox is going to be supported?