adding photos

adding photos

Postby scottlv » Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:03 pm

Can photos be added to each logged dive? Using Divelog DT
scottlv

Re: adding photos

Postby support » Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:13 am

Hi Scott,

Neither DiveLogDT for macOS nor DiveLog for iOS currently allow you (yet) to add general dive photos to your logbook. We do want to add this functionality eventually, but we want to do it in a way that does not “bloat” your logbook and make it huge and unwieldy. And also not all photos are accessible on all your different devices, macOS and iOS.

But you can add many photos of *items* to your logbook. You can add a photo to each of your Buddies, Dive Sites, Cities, Countries, Equipment, Personal, Certification Cards, Shops, and Trips. Everywhere you see the “camera” outline, you can add a photo. You just need to be in Edit Mode and then drag a photo into the “photo well”. You should know that these photos are stored in your logbook file and so they are smaller versions of the original, so you don’t want to get rid of the original photo at all.

Hope that clarifies things.
Thanks,
Janice
support

Postby TomR » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:15 am

Janice,

I agree with Scott. Please add the ability to add photos to dives to DiveLog for iOS.

I have been a software developer for a long time and understand the issue of database bloat due to storing images as binary data. You have already addressed the photo issue with the secondary data elements. I don't think DiveLog for iOS should support unlimited photos being added to a dive as this would definitely lead to overwhelming the database. Instead, allow the user to choose something like their top two most pertinent pics from the dive (ie. live-aboard dive briefing map, pic of rare find, etc). Resize the image to the small size used in equipment, etc. The rest of the thousands of images that come from dive trips should be managed outside of the digital logbook using software more specific to photography.

Since DiveLog for iOS does not yet support downloading from the new SCUBAPRO G2, I use Diving Log 6.0 to import my dive profiles from LogTRAK. Diving Log 6.0 supports linking multiple images to each dive. But, they store the link to the image file in the Logbook table instead of the binary image itself. In order to fully support the sync process between the two platforms, both applications need to allow "some" dive images to be stored in the database. Without storing the image, the sync has the possibility of losing the link to the linked images. Also, storing the binary images will allow the digital logbook to be viewed with some pictures when the user is not sitting at their desktop/laptop.

Thanks for considering the request.
Tom

PS - what is the status of downloading dives via BLE to the SCUBAPRO G2 directly into DiveLog iOS?
TomR

Postby support » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:18 am

Hi Tom,

We are working on the ability to add additional photo support in Dive Log/Dive Log DT related to a dive. The idea is to manage these photos in a way that is similar to Diving Log 6.0 but we do have to do a little more to do. As you point out, Diving Log 6.0 stores the literal file path on the PC to the image files (ie. c:\My Photo\Dive Photos\....). Obviously that reference will not transfer to an iPhone or Mac in any sensible way. However, I did want to address one point regarding these photos when add on the PC (in case others are not aware).

While it is possible that with just right set of manipulations in Dive Log on iOS you could disrupt the reference to the photo created on the PC, it is pretty unlikely. We go to great length to ensure that the photo link in the logbook database is maintained during operation on the iPhone/iPad in Dive Log (and within Dive Log DT on the Mac). So your image references added to your database in Diving Log 6.0 should be safe across syncs. Of course, if you were to remove or move the image on the PC that link would no longer be valid (but that has nothing to do with Dive Log on iOS).

You are quite right that allowing images to be available across platforms during sync is an important goal. There are multiple ways to achieve this and we are hoping to do it without embedding the images in the database. Right now, the images that are embedded in the database are very small (too small given more modern devices) and even with that restriction the current images can start to overwhelm the database size. Adding two more images for each dive could have a significant impact on the total amount of database space dedicated to images depending on how frequently the user chooses to use the images. We are planning to use the same mechanism that we use for allowing multiple images per dive to also allow us to present higher quality versions of the images in other records in addition to the "thumbnails" currently present.

I can assure you that this is an important "to do" list item for us. It is something that we want to get right so we are not saddled with a legacy implementation that is hard to live with. We are, of course, also pulled in other directions too (like support for new dive computers, new iOS devices and iOS versions) that impact our priorities.

Regarding the G2, this is a two step process. The first part is being able to download and parse the data from the G2 using the USB interface. This part of the process is well underway in our Mac products (we can't use USB on the iPhone/iPad but the parsing will transfer over) and is going very well. The second part of the process is to sort out how to communicate with the G2 via Bluetooth LE (which is the only way to talk to it from within iOS). We are hoping to have our hands on a G2 within the next month or so which will be required to be able to learn how to deal with it via Bluetooth LE. Unfortunately, Bluetooth LE is a bit tricky to reverse engineer as it is a fundamentally encrypted protocol which makes it harder than with USB.

Thanks for your input and for sharing the importance of these features with us. As I stated above, we are pulled in many directions and it is helpful to have input from users as we decide on our priorities for our limited development resources.

Cheers,

Greg
support

Postby TomR » Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:13 am

Good stuff Greg. Thanks for the update.

BTW I also found another post which indicates that Dive Log keeps all the fields intact even if they are not displayed. This is good news.

I look forward to your next release.

Tom
TomR

Return to Dive Log