Sharing Logs between Users

Sharing Logs between Users

Postby FYRSQL » Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:54 am

We're a family of 4 divers, and I'd love to be able to enter the dive information in for me, then send it to my kids for their logs. What is the easiest way to do that?
Last edited by FYRSQL on Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FYRSQL

Re: Sharing Los between Users

Postby support » Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:58 pm

Hi,

Right now, the best way to do this is by using a desktop application like Dive Log Manager (free - Mac App Store) or Dive Log DT (paid - Mac App Store) for the Mac or Diving Log 6.0 (paid - www.divinglog.de) for the PC. If you are using Dive Log on the iPhone or iPad to initially enter your dive data, then you can sync the data to your Mac or PC via Wi-Fi. Once the logbook in on the Mac/PC you can open the first log that you want to import the data you just entered into and then use the "Import" option (in Dive Log Manager and Dive Log DT you'd use the "Dive Log" option under "IMPORT" on the sidebar and in Diving Log 6.0 for the PC you would use the "Dive Log Manager" option in the "Import" menu item). You can then pick the dive(s) you want to import and the new dives will be added to the logbook you are currently working on. You can then edit that data on the Mac or the PC (this requires a paid version of the desktop application) or you can sync it back to the appropriate iOS device and edit it there.

When you import data in this way you primarily get the Dive entry (and not the details about the Site, City or Country ... just their names). However, in the case of Dive Log DT you can export a special interchange file format for items like Sites, Cities and Countries and import those items in the new logbook.

We are working towards having the ability to import dives from other Dive Log logbooks directly on the iPhone/iPad (the logbook would be uploaded to iCloud or some other Cloud service like Dropbox) from the initial device and then the individual dives imported on the other devices similar to how it is done in Dive Log Manager/Dive Log DT on the Mac. This facility is not available yet, but we are currently in Beta with the first part of this so we are making progress towards not needing to use a desktop application to do this type of sharing. However, we are not there yet.

I hope that helps. Please let us know if you any further questions.

Cheers,

Greg
support

Re: Sharing Logs between Users

Postby FYRSQL » Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:10 pm

Thanks for the tips. I got excited when I was able to log buddies (kinda hoped the dive might just show up in theirs if they were also using it), then also saw the "Share Dive Details" button and thought that might work.

A solid app... just thought it would be cool to share a lot of the dive profile with others you are diving with so everyone doesn't have to do all the entry.
FYRSQL

Re: Sharing Logs between Users

Postby support » Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:33 pm

We will not likely be adding anything that magically populates other people's logs (i.e. via the Buddy field). However, you are on the right track with the "Share Dive Details" button. We do plan to add the ability to share importable versions of individual dives, dive sites, etc. with other users via Email (or other mechanisms) and the "Share Dive Details" button will be (one of) the gateways to that feature once we get it implemented. Sadly, our development resources are limited so some of our plans take longer to come into being than we'd like (we are very quality conscious and often prioritize that over new features).

Thanks for your input and enthusiasm though, it does help us focus our efforts and the encouragement is always appreciated.

Cheers,

Greg
support

Return to Dive Log