Sync between iPad and Mac

Sync between iPad and Mac

Postby vesler » Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:42 pm

iPad: DiveLog version 2.2.8(2.111)
Mac: Version Version 4.4.32 (4.151)

I am no longer able to sync my iPad version with my Mac version.

In the past, I used Wifi sync, but I wanted to change to Cloud sync.

On the iPad, I can see a logbook available for Sync, and when I select that matching logbook, it tells me that it merged the versions and created a new logbook.

However, when I then try to synch my Mac (or import from cloud), I can't find the new logbook on iCloud (or anywhere else).

I have tried turning things on and off, reboot, etc, but nothing has helped.

If the iPad is actually updating a logbook in iCloud, shouldn't I be able to see it when I open iCloud drive?

What am I missing here?

Thanks,
VE
vesler

Re: Sync between iPad and Mac

Postby support » Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:08 am

Hi,

Right now, the only option for syncing between Dive Log on iPad and Dive Log DT on the Mac is via the Wi-Fi Sync method. We are working on adding iCloud Drive support to Dive Log on iPad but it is not ready for prime time just yet.

The iCloud Sync feature of Dive Log on iOS is designed for use between Dive Log running different iOS devices (or to backup/restore on a single device). Unfortunately Apple has created a lot of confusion in their "iCloud" product suite, but the "iCloud" feature used in Dive Log (the original iCloud Document sharing feature introduced a number of years ago) is different from 'iCloud Drive" used by Dive Log DT. The original iCloud Document sharing feature was limited to sharing between apps that were released under the same Apple Developer ID (for historical reasons that are not worth explaining, Dive Log and Dive Log DT are released under different developer IDs). It is not possible for Dive Log DT to "see" files that uploaded to iCloud using the currently "iCloud Sync" feature of Dive Log.

The iCloud Drive support that Dive Log DT is using works quite differently from the older iCloud support used by Dive Log on iOS. We will be maintaining the current iCloud Sync feature in Dive Log (so those users that rely on it do not loose access to their iCloud logbooks) while also adding the ability to share logbooks with other applications (including Dive Log DT) via "iCloud Drive" (as well as other cloud drive solutions available on iOS like Dropbox) in the relatively near future. I apologize for the confusion that this distinction created for you. Hopefully you can continue to use the Wi-Fi Sync option until this new support in available in Dive Log.

Cheers,

Greg
support

Postby vesler » Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:32 pm

Thank you. That explains it all.

WiFi sync works fine, so I will continue that method for now.

But cloud sync will be awesome once you get it worked out. It is nice to have data entered on one device magically appear on all the others.
vesler

Postby support » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:00 am

Just to be clear, the "cloud" sync support will require a manual initiation of the sync (i.e. no magical data appearing). This is due to both a technical limitation of working with databases in "cloud" disk environments (Dive Log's logbook data is stored in a portable database format) and to avoid unexpected large cellular data bills while traveling.

Cheers,

Greg
support

Postby davidmc22 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:22 pm

I bought an Aqualung i450T in about March of this year. Rather than get the software that they suggest, I chose DiveLogDT for my iMac. After a short time, all of the basics made sense. After my first dives, I let everything dry, and then downloaded everything to my laptop just fine. (As others have mentioned, I wish more pics could be added per dive; even at low-res.)

But then I began thinking about the digital copy of my certification card and my emergency contact info. It would make more sense to have access to all of that while on the dive boat. Eventually, we will all be texting this info to people at the dive company - probably before the boat even leaves the dock; obviously via our phones.

So, long story short, I want to have all of this info on my laptop, my iPad, and my iPhone. And sync them all without having to connect & download multiple times. I have read that the cloud sync isn't ready yet; and that's ok - wifi sync will work.

So, what are the steps necessary to accomplish my goal? Do I need to buy the version for iPad and the version for iPhone? What is the process to sync them?

Thanks to everyone for their help. I have already learned a few things from reading some of your posts. Cheers!

David Mc
davidmc22

Postby support » Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:06 pm

Hi David,

I answered your email inquiry already, so hopefully that gave you the information you needed. In case anyone else is looking for the same answer, I thought I'd summarize here.

Dive Log for iOS is available on the iOS App Store and is a universal application (that means that it runs on both iPhone and iPad and take advantage of the different features of each platform). You only need to buy Dive Log for iOS once and you can install it on all your iOS devices.

Dive Log and Dive Log DT (as well as Dive Log Manager) can sync via Wi-Fi or cloud based services (like iCloud Drive). Both should work fine (cloud syncing between the two platforms has been available for several months now). There are advantages and disadvantage to both based on the underlying technology (for example, the Cloud syncing requires that you are connected to the internet where Wi-Fi syncing can happen without an internet connection). The synchronization between the platforms allows you to enter information on either device and sync them to have a complete record of the information on both devices.

Access to the synchronization feature on iPhone is via the Synchronize tab (where you will see various option for Wi-Fi and Cloud syncing). On iPad this is found by tapping the "Sync" icon in the lower corner of the sidebar (most easily see with the iPad in landscape orientation). In the case of Wi-Fi sync, you will tap the "Enable Sync" button and the name of your device will show up in the sidebar of Dive Log DT or Dive Log Manager on your Mac. You then click on that item and make the appropriate selection. You do need to be on the same Wi-Fi network for this to work. Cloud syncing involves uploading your logbook to a cloud service on one device and then importing or syncing it on the other device. This is also done from the Synchronize tab on iPhone/iPad and from the SYNCHRONIZE item in the side bar of Dive Log DT or Dive Log Manager.

Hopefully that give folks a start. Please feel free to contact us via email (support 'at' moremobilesoftware 'dot' com) if you have specific questions or encounter any issues.

Cheers,

Greg
support

Return to Dive Log