ScubaPro finally gets a clue - Aladin H (Matrix) bluetooth

ScubaPro finally gets a clue - Aladin H (Matrix) bluetooth

Postby wmperry » Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:01 pm

According to the spec sheet the new Aladin H (Matrix) (Sport?) supports Bluetooth LE. Any thoughts on adding it as an add-on?

I don't see any actual information on it on scubapro.com of course, but it is in the new retailer price list/catalog, and I actually have one of the non-air-integrated ones sitting on the shelf at the dive shop. Manual includes information about bluetooth, and I've seen the display come up for pairing, so I'm not hallucinating. http://www.scubapro.com/media/691408/12 ... ix_eng.pdf
wmperry

Re: ScubaPro finally gets a clue - Aladin H (Matrix) bluetoo

Postby support » Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:34 pm

Well, Well, Well. Here we start a new era for ScubaPro! You are the first to point it out to us. I looked at the manual and also at the website and it's "happening" :-)

So, I think it's really smart of ScubaPro / dive computer manufacturers in general to be adding BLE support to their devices. This is the way of the future really and is just the "right thing" to do. However it's a really "bad thing" for 3rd party logbook software developers like us. When the connection to a device is via a serial port, it's a trivial task to intercept the communication between the host and the device, and to therefore reverse engineer how to talk to it, and then download it. (And then interpret the data after that).

With BLE, it's harder to intercept the communication between the two. At this point, it is unknown to me whether it is possible without additional BLE hardware that can "snoop" on the communication. So far, all of our BLE support has been done with the assistance of the manufacturer. So they have given us the magic numbers needed to talk to the device via BLE and so we have not ever tried to reverse engineer any BLE communication. I highly doubt that ScubaPro will be giving 3rd party logbook developers the information needed to do this. We've asked in the past and received deafening silence from UWatec even though ScubaPro wanted them to do it. Perhaps now that the UWatec name has disappeared from view, they would be more amenable.

In either case, they would be more likely to do it if their customers asked them to support our software. Right now, they do not appear to have an iOS app, just an Android app. But I'm sure an iOS app is on it's way. But if it's important to you, I'd write to them (say publicly on their ScubaBoard.com forum) and ask them to support 3rd party developers - specifically us. Right now, since there is no iOS app available, it would be a good argument.

Barring that, we would likely need a unit in our own hands to work with to see if it's possible to reverse engineer in some way. If the one on your shelf get's moldy, we'll borrow it for awhile! :-)

Janice
support

Re: ScubaPro finally gets a clue - Aladin H (Matrix) bluetoo

Postby wmperry » Sun Dec 25, 2016 2:18 pm

I will definitely be pestering ScubaPro directly - their software is just absolutely horrible. I'll be buying a Perdix if they don't get something actually usable one of these days.

With the acquisition of the Seabear folks, their old tech guy is now in charge of the computer division of ScubaPro, so we might have better luck asking for protocol details. Seabear definitely got the benefit of having an open specification. Fingers crossed.

If I get any traction beating on our rep, I will let you know.
wmperry

Return to Dive Log