Import dive logs from divePAL?

Import dive logs from divePAL?

Postby JeremyM » Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:44 am

Hi -

Is there any way to import logs from divePAL? I know divePAL allows for DAN format exports, but I don't see any way to import a log?

DivePAL started failing to import from my OC1 via DCBuddy - Dive Log works great but now my old logs are stranded in the divePAL app.

Thanks,

Jeremy
JeremyM

Re: Import dive logs from divePAL?

Postby support » Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:35 pm

Hi Jeremy,

Sorry about the delay in getting back to you.

Dive Log can sync with various desktop applications (Diving Log 6.0 for Windows, Dive Log DT, MacDive and Dive Log Manager for the Mac). In turn, these desktop applications can import from a wide variety of data formats. So if you can get your divePAL data exported into one of these formats, we can get it imported into Dive Log for you. Depending on your available desktop computer (Mac vs Windows) you may be able to do this yourself for free (Dive Log Manager is free and can import from a number of formats including DAN's DL7) or, if you are using a PC I can do the conversion for you (kind of a one time deal) and then you can use the trial version of Diving Log 6.0 to upload the converted logbook to Dive Log.

What you need to do first is get your data from divePAL in a format that we can import. I'm not very familiar with divePAL, but I believe it can sync via the "cloud" to the Windows version of divePAL and that might extend your options for export data formats. In either case, we can handle DAN DL7, UDDF, UDCF and a large number of vendor specific formats. Some formats like DL7 and UDCF are pretty limited and pretty much only allow you to get profile data and depth and time (so no dive site information for example ... this is a limitation of the data format and not the import function). In these cases you might have to recreate some information manually. Other formats (like UDDF) will transfer more of your logbook data.

Once you know what format you have available, you should let me know (best to continue this conversation via email ... send the email to our support address "support 'at' moremobilesoftware 'dot' com") and/or send me the exported data. I can then best advise you on how to proceed with converting it yourself or I will convert it for you and then send you instruction for how to upload it to Dive Log on your iOS device.

I hope that helps. I know it is confusing, but there are not many truly open interchange formats for logbook data so we have to work with what we have available.

Cheers,

Greg
support

Postby divinglog » Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:53 pm

Hi Jeremy

I just saw your post here. If you still need your DivePal file converted, please contact me (info (at) divinglog.de). I can import your DivePal logbook into Diving Log 6.0.

Sven
divinglog

Postby avemfly619 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:27 am

Sure, i will try it. if my phone doesn't get any damage.
avemfly619

Return to Dive Log