App Crash

App Crash

Postby lt1962 » Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:54 pm

Hi,
Whenever I attempt to view my personal data on Dive Log, the app crashes. I can view my dives, equipment, locations, buddies etc, but trying to view my personal data causes the program to shut down.
This is only a new problem as I have used this facility previously to save me having to carry all my cert cards and DAN details on holidays. Now I can no longer access it.
Any suggestions.
lt1962

Re: App Crash

Postby support » Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:22 am

Hi,

I'm sorry about the issues you are having with Dive Log crashing when you attempt to view your Personal data. The first question is which version of Dive Log you are currently running? We did discover some uncommon situations that could lead to crashes in Dive Log that were fixed the most recent update (2.2.6). So if you are not running 2.2.6 I'd recommend updating to 2.2.6 and see if that solves your issue. If not, then it would be very helpful if you could send us a copy of your logbook to our support email address (support 'at' moremobilesoftware 'dot' com) that might help us reproduce the issue. You can get a copy of your logbook using one of the supported desktop apps (www.moremobilesofteware.com/divelog-sync) and getting a backup of your logbook via Wi-Fi (you can use the free Dive Log Manager from the Mac App Store for the Mac or the trial version of Diving Log 6.0 (www.divinglog.de) for the PC and then on the sync dialog click the "Info" button to expose the backup option).

If you have the setting on your iPhone/iPad to send share diagnostics information with app developers I should be getting a crash report in the near future (you can turn this on if it is not on and let the app crash one more time so that I get the report). I will look for a crash report that matches the issue you describe and get it fixed as soon as I can.

One thing that you cab try in the meantime is to re-install Dive Log on your device. The first (and critical) step in this is to take a backup of your logbook (the same steps as above to get a copy to send to me). Once you have a backup, you'd then remove Dive Log from your device (press and hold it's icon and then tap the "x") and then reinstall the app from the App Store (Update->Purchases on the iPhone and "Purchases" on the iPad). This *might* help let you again view your Personal data (however, given what you describe I think this is not a likely solution).

Again, my apologies for the difficulties. Please send me a copy of your logbook if you can and I'll see if I can reproduce and fix the issue ASAP.

Cheers,

Greg
support

Postby lt1962 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:12 am

Hi,
I am running 2.2.6 on an iphone 4. I have turned on the sharing of diagnostic information for you and have just crashed the app.

I will do it several more times to ensure it gets to you.

I have tried to email you a copy of the back up of my dive log. However, it is 22mb and is not allowed by my email server.

Please let me know how you go.
lt1962

Postby lt1962 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:14 am

Hi,

If you have a dropbox, I could put my back up into that for you to access.

Regards,
lt1962

Postby support » Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:11 pm

Thanks for generating the crash reports. As soon as they come in I'll take a look and see if I can sort out what is going on.

If you could put the logbook file into Dropbox and send me a link to to via email (support 'at' moremobilesoftware 'dot' com) then I can download it and let you know that I have it so that you can remove it from your Dropbox account (I don't know how to make it so that you can write directly into my Dropbox account). Once the file is in Dropbox you can just right click on it (two finger click) and select "Copy Dropbox Link" and then paste that into email.

Cheers,

Greg
support

Postby lt1962 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:44 pm

Hi,
Link to dropbox sent.
Cheers,
lt1962

Postby support » Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:23 am

Hi,

Thanks for sending the file, I have it downloaded now so you can remove it if you like.

Can you confirm that you are using an iPhone 4 (not an iPhone 4s) and also can you tell me which version of iOS you are using (9.x, 8.x or 7.x). Also, is there any particular sequence of events that leads to a crash when you view the Personal tab (for example do you always get to it after viewing some other tab)? So far I have not been able to reproduce the issue using your logbook so I'm hoping that that these details will help narrow down the difference between what you are seeing and what I'm seeing.

Thanks,

Greg
support

Postby lt1962 » Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:26 pm

Hi,
I am using an iPhone 4 with iOS 7.1.2
There is no specific sequence of events that lead to the crash. Whenever I try to view personal data the app crashes.
I can open the app and go there direct and it will crash or if I use other tabs first or browse/edit dives first then try to view the personal tab the app crashes.
I can still see the data on my wife's iPad or iPhone 6 without any issues.
Just no longer works on my iPhone 4.
lt1962

Postby support » Fri Jul 29, 2016 5:21 pm

Hi,

Thanks for that information, it is very helpful.

I have found the problem and I have a fix for it (it is actually an iOS 7 bug so technically it is a workaround, but it resolves the issue). The problem only affects iOS 7 so that is why you do not see it on your other devices. I'll have the fix available in the next update to Dive Log (which shouldn't take too long to make available).

If you want to see your Personal tab on your iPhone 4 there is a sequence of steps that will work to do it (at least in my testing). Do the following you should be able to open the Personal tab:

1) Start Dive Log and navigate to the "More" tab (don't go any further).
2) Exit Dive Log
3) Kill the app by double clicking the home button and then swipe up on the Dive Log "card"
4) Restart Dive Log and open the Personal tab as the first thing you open.
5) Make sure you navigate away from the Personal tab before you exit Dive Log.

Obviously this is something that would only be useful in the case that you had to look at the Personal tab in a pinch. Otherwise, I hope you can wait for the updated version to become available (if not, please let me know).

Cheers,

Greg
support

Postby lt1962 » Sat Jul 30, 2016 8:10 pm

Thanks for your help and the work around.
lt1962

Next

Return to Dive Log