Mares Puck Pro

Mares Puck Pro

Postby hst » Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:08 am

Hi,

I have been recommended Dive Log by friends at my local dive club.

Can I use a Mares Puck Pro with Dev Log on iOS (iPad 2/iPhone 5c)? I contacted DiveNav and they claim that the DCbuddy does not support the Puck Pro (it does support older Puck models). Are there other options for connecting the Pro to the iOS-device?

Regards -- Henrik
hst

Re: Mares Puck Pro

Postby support » Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:31 am

Hi Henrik,

The DCbuddy requires custom "pigtail" interface cables to support each type of dive computer. While they do have a cable to support the older Puck, Puck 2 and Puck Air computers, the connector on the Mares Puck Pro is different. In addition to the cable, the DCbuddy firmware may need special support for any particular computer (which only DiveNav can provide). So, as a result, we are not able to support the Puck Pro directly using Dive Log on iOS.

One option you could consider is to use our Dive Log DT application on the Mac or Diving Log 6.0 on the PC (www.divinglog.de) to download your Puck Pro and then sync with Dive Log on iOS via Wi-Fi. Both Dive Log DT and Diving Log 6.0 support a method of importing the data from dive computers that allow you to integrate the dive computer data with information that you previously entered about the dives on the iPhone or iPad. This way you can travel with just your iPhone/iPad and your Puck Pro and enter dives as you do them. Then when you get home you can import the data from your Puck 2 and have the detailed depth, time and profile data added to the entries you made on your iOS device.

There may be other iOS applications that support the Puck Pro directly on the iPhone/iPad. I do not have any experience with it, but DiveMate does claim to support the Puck Pro on iOS using their FusionUSB device on their website.

I hope that helps.

Cheers,

Greg
support

Postby hst » Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:09 am

Thanks for the quick and detailed answer! It's unfortunate that the DCbuddy does not (yet?) support Puck Pro. I realize that this is not your responsibility but if you have a business relationship with DiveNav maybe you can encourage them to add this?

I will try the Dive Log DT for Mac option, have ordered a Mares USB cable already. It's not ideal since I never travel with my Mac and would prefer "real time" diving profile data in my logs.

Cheers -- Henrik
hst

Postby support » Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:01 pm

I'll certainly do what I can to encourage them.

I thought that I'd send you the detailed steps to use the combination of Dive Log and Dive Log DT to log your dives and integrate the Puck Pro data so you have them available when you need them.

1) Log your dives during your trip including information that is not available from your Puck Pro (dive site, city, country, buddies, environmental conditions, equipment, etc.). It is also a good idea to record the date and approximate entry time of the dive (this will help you identify the dives later).
2) When you get back to your Mac, synchronize Dive Log with Dive Log DT
3) Then Download your Puck Pro. This will produce a list of dives available to import.
4) Select the dives in the top panel (from the Puck Pro) that match the dives you manually entered into the iPad. You can extend the selection to select multiple dives using Shift-Click.
5) Select the first dive in the lower panel that matches the first dive you selected in the upper panel.
6) Click the Import button.

Dive Log DT will proceed to add the data from each dive selected in the upper panel to each dive in turn in your logbook starting with the dive that you selected. Note that you wan to make sure that the dives line up 1 for 1 (i.e. no gaps) as Dive Log DT does not attempt to be "smart" about matching dives (we tried this and it hurt more than it helped so we reverted to the fully manual method). If there are gaps, you can import the dives in chunks if needed.

Once you are done, you can sync your dives back to Dive Log on your iOS device to have a complete record of your dives in both locations.

Please let us know if you have any questions or issues. You can feel free to us our support email address (support 'at' moremobilesoftware 'dot' com).

Cheers,

Greg
support

Postby hst » Sun Apr 03, 2016 2:27 am

Hi,

I retroactively logged old dives using the method described in this thread and it worked like a charm. Used wifi synch since there is no iCloud sync between iPhone and Mac - I hope you're working on that :-)

Thank you for the clear instructions! I did have one technical issue with the Puck Pro import, will open a separate thread on that.

Henrik
hst

Postby Richvmares » Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:33 pm

Hello, I wanna sync my mares pp to my iPad too. From what I understand in this post, I can do it via wifi so then I don't need the usb cable anymore? Thanks.
Richvmares

Postby support » Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:15 pm

Hi,

You still need the USB cable as it is not possible to directly download the Puck Pro to the iPad (at least not using our software). The above thread describes a way to download your Puck Pro to the Mac using Dive Log DT (you can also download it to a PC using Diving Log 6.0) and then syncing that data via Wi-Fi to Dive Log on the iPad. So you need the USB cable to get the data from the Puck Pro to the Mac and then you would sync that data to the iPad using Wi-Fi.

I hope that helps clarify the situation.

Cheers,

Greg
support

Return to Dive Log