Syncing to iphone

sterlingunan

Syncing to iphone

Post by sterlingunan » Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:11 pm

Hi. I can't seem to get my most current divelog imported into my iPhone. I can import a .sql file I made about 1 month ago. I've tried every export format available and when doing the import on the iPhone I get the same results: I see the file I want to import as selectable (not greyed out) and I click on it. After about 10 seconds the object goes grey and inherits as small red circle with a horizontal line. I'm running most current versions of Diving Log 6 on my Win10 pc and most current iPhone divelog app. I'm using onedrive for the drop off and pick up point. Been at this a for a few days. I don't find any useful hints as to how to proceed within the app or on this site. Appreciate any help you can provide.

Sterling

support

Re: Syncing to iphone

Post by support » Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:07 am

Hi Sterling,

I'm sorry about the difficulties you are having but I'll certainly be happy to try to help.

Based on what you've said in your post, it sounds like you have taken the following steps:

1) Exported a .sql file from Diving Log 6.0 to OneDrive (either using the SQLite export option or the Web upload option)
2) Used the Synchronize tab's Import -> Import Dive Log logbook option
3) Navigated to OneDrive and located the file that you uploaded in step 1
4) When you tap on this file the file browser shows some activity but eventually does nothing
5) I'm assuming that you eventually have to tap the "Cancel" button to return to Dive Log?

There are a couple of questions that would be helpful to know the answer to:

1) Which version of iOS are you running on your iPhone?
2) Are you running the latest version of the OneDrive app on your iPhone (check in the App Store app to see if an update is available).

I have not been able to reproduce your exact situation, but I have found that on iOS 13.2.2 that the OneDrive option is not working properly. In my case I can't import any file and I don't see the red circle or the item becoming gray that you see (and I can't import any existing file in OneDrive). I will investigate this further, but this looks like Microsoft needs to update the OneDrive app to work with the most recent version of iOS (it was waring fine when I last used it with iOS 13.1). Unfortunately, if you can't select the file from the file browser (i.e. you are never returned to Dive Log's Import screen) that means that the OneDrive file provider (this is the feature of OneDrive that allows 3rd party apps to access files via the file browser interface that Dive Log posts) failed to vend the requested file to iOS. From the point of view of Dive Log, this is a black box and until iOS returns a file to Dive Log there is no interaction with Dive Log (which means the content of the file are not the issue).

There are a couple of things that you can try as well as a workaround that you can use to get your file uploaded.

1) Make sure that you are running the latest version of OneDrive (use the App Store app to update it if not)
2) Try restarting your iPhone (https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201559)
3) Open the OneDrive app on your iPhone and try signing out and then back into it

If those items do not help you can use this workaround:

1) Open the OneDrive app
2) Select the file you want to import into Dive Log (long press on it to select it ... if you tap OneDrive tries to open the file)
3) Tap the "share" button (the box with the arrow pointing up)
4) Select "Save to Files" (older version of iOS might just show the "Files" icon)
5) Save the file to a location in iCloud Drive (or if you are running iOS 13 you can select a location in the "On My iPhone" like "Downloads")
6) Return to Dive Log and use the Synchronize->Import->Import Dive Log logbook item and navigate to the place you saved the file in step 5

This should allow you to import the file. An alternative workaround would be to save the file on your PC to a different cloud service (Dropbox, Google Drive, iCloud Drive) and then you should be able to open it directly in Dive Log.

I'll look further into the OneDrive issue that I was able to reproduce. If you can provide any additional information that would be helpful too. Please feel free to contact us here or via our support email address (support 'at' moremobilesoftware 'dot' com). The email address would be the best way to send any screenshots of what yo are seeing.

Greg
Last edited by support on Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

support

Re: Syncing to iphone

Post by support » Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:05 pm

Just a quick follow up for anyone who was watching this thread.

The problem turned out to be an issue with the OneDrive account settings. Resetting the OneDrive account credentials on the iPhone resolved the issue.

This points to a useful diagnostics technique anytime you are having problems with any "file provider" (like Dropbox, Google Drive, Box, OneDrive, etc.) from within Dive Log (or any other app). Try interacting with the files directly in the native app. This will often either solve the issue or point out the source of the problem as the "file browser" interface that Dive Log uses is implemented in terms of the services provided by these file provider apps. The file provider app can not show the issue through the Apple provided browser interface but can do so within their own app.

Cheers,

Greg